Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34,344 Posts
Many times you can pry the remains away from the wall with a tiny screwdriver. Sometimes you can slice them with a cold chisel.
Other times, a tight-fitting drill bit, turned in my hand with a tap handle, then pulled out with a slide hammer or Vise-Grips and small hammer.
When all else fails, the "right" sized drill bit, liberally coated in Vaseline to catch the "chips".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many times you can pry the remains away from the wall with a tiny screwdriver. Sometimes you can slice them with a cold chisel.
Other times, a tight-fitting drill bit, turned in my hand with a tap handle, then pulled out with a slide hammer or Vise-Grips and small hammer.
When all else fails, bit, liberally coated in Vaseline to catch the "chips".
Thankyou very much.... I'll give it a shot this weekend.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
how do you get the new on one in?
hammer and block of wood?

·
Registered
34,344 Posts
how do you get the new on one in?
hammer and block of wood?
Once you get the hole properly cleaned out you have 2 choices.

1. Tap the hole the appropriate NPT and install a threaded nipple.

2. Put the brass nipple in the freezer overnight, line the hole with a very light coating of Aviation Form-A-Gasket and tap the nipple in cold.

Hint: Make sure you mark the nipple with a Sharpie at the desired depth so you know when it's in far enough.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I was using a cold chisel to pry it toward middle to be able to grab and pull with pliers..... no luck! Then I thought I would try to split it with a small wood chisel and that was a mistake.
Sooo now I knocked it loose but it dropped out bottom of opening. I cant feel it or see it at all now. The opening has a solid bottom and I cant figure out where it went.... How do I recover this piece now? Thankyou much for your help on this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts