Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i can't figure out how to adjust the idle speed when cold. the rpm's are so high it jerks your head if you put it in gear.... i know it has to be more than at normal op temp, but it really seems too high. i looked it over and the screw that adjust the choke(at least - i think it is the one) idle speed appears impossible to get to - like it's upside down underneath the elect. choke. once it is warm it settles down, but i would like to lower the cold start idle speed.

please advise....

Thanks!

Randy

65 pony from ground up, inline 6 (son's car),
66 Red Convertible, 289(dad's car)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The screw on the choke linkage is the culprit. The screw sets on a cam which rotates as the choke warms up. Might have to use an offset screwdriver and maybe hold the throttle open a little to get to it. Good Luck

Mustang Lovers ---- A Box-O-Choclates !!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mulletwagon's got it. The fast idle screw is a royal bitch to get at. If you look real close between the choke cover and the body of the carb you'll see the screw (should have a dot of green paint on it) leaning on the cam. Get a long, skinny flathead screwdriver and get it set on the screwhead. Then reach across and pull the throttle linkage a little bit so the screw moves slightly away from the cam - it'll make it a bit easier to turn. Give it a few turns counterclockwise, let it go back into place and check it again.

I can sympathize, because I have the same carb and you almost have to be Houdini to get in there; I usually get up into the engine compartment so I can see in there to get it moved.

Visit my repair page for Repair info, with pictures! http://home.dencity.com/mustangcub

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had to adjust the fast idle on mine too. Hold throttle wide open and you can get a wrench on it. I had to back fast idle screw off 3+ turns to get it to fast idle right. You could just take carb off to adjust it, only takes a minute to take off carb. If you have to adjust a lot like I did it might be quicker that way then holding throttle open and turning 1/8 turn at a time with carb on engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts