Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a salvage yard today and picked up an electronic distributor out of an old 302 for my 289. it looked in decent shape. when i got it home i started cleaning it up and the connector that goes to the control module crumbled up in my hand. i know nothing about the internals of this distributor. is it a big deal to replace the part that the connector went to? it is the thing that sits where the points set in my old distributor and has the wires coming off of it that exit the side of the distributor?

thanks

65 pony from ground up, inline 6 (son's car),
66 Red Convertible, 289(dad's car)

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I believe you are talking about the magnetic pickup assembly that is installed below the stator (looks like a spoked wheel). The magnetic pickup comes with new wires and connector. The stator is semi-pressed on the keyed distributor shaft and must be removed in order to get the magnetic pickup out. I made a little puller affair to get the stator off, but I'm sure someone (mechanic shop ??) could remove it for you. I would buy the replacement magnetic pickup from Ford as one that I bought from the local auto store (cheaper than Ford's) did not seem a quality part and I elected not to install it. My 85 GT had a malfunctioning magnetic pickup and you never new when the engine wouldn't run. After trying a new Duraspark box, coil, etc, etc., the new pickup fixed the problem.

66 Fastback
85 GT Hatchback
67 Coupe
82 GT Hatchback

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
You might spend as much on a new reluctor as you would on a rebuild Duraspark distributor. Compare prices when you're at the parts store.

[color:blue]
1967 Acapulco Blue coupe
302 4V, C4, 9" 3.25:1
Torq-Thrust "D" 225-60-14
1968 PDB, Corbeau
LeCarra, Alpine in-dash CD
http://www.geocities.com/mlnielsen_67/index.htm
WEBSITE UPDATED 2/28/01
</font color=blue>

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I happen to have a used pick-up leftover from my Duraspark conversion. I don't know if it works or not, but the connector is good. You can try it, or splice the connector.

It's yours if you want it.

Are you at the same address in Cabot?

FYI, here are some carparts.com prices:

rebuild distributor- $43.38, $20 core
pick-up - $22 (LX-204)
module - $46-$58

[color:blue]
1967 Acapulco Blue coupe
302 4V, C4, 9" 3.25:1
Torq-Thrust "D" 225-60-14
1968 PDB, Corbeau
LeCarra, Alpine in-dash CD
http://www.geocities.com/mlnielsen_67/index.htm
WEBSITE UPDATED 2/28/01
</font color=blue>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry i didn't reply sooner... i was worn out last night and crashed early....

yes i want it and i am still in cabot. i will cover $ the mailing. how?

thanks a bunch

Randy

65 pony from ground up, inline 6 (son's car),
66 Red Convertible, 289(dad's car)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts