Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I crimp the wire on the clip and then push into the boot, *OR* run the wire through the boot first then crimp and pull backwards into boot?
What about the 90* coil piece (second pic), it looks really tough!!
Is there a lubricant I can use to ease this?
I've never done this before!
Thanks!
http://server35.hypermart.net/lbonesg/images/wire1.JPG

http://server35.hypermart.net/lbonesg/images/wire2.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The kit I had I only had to crimp the ends for the distibutor cap. The plug caps were done but I would assume it would be the same. Slightly lube the wire so it slides in the boot easily. (Silicon came with my kit and it worked wonders) push the wire through the boot far enought to crimp the terminal on the end, then slide the boot back over the wire. Do not try to push or pull on the wire but hold the wire and slide the boot into place.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One more note. Take your time in cutting to length. I would only put one end on preferrable the plug ends, then route all the wires the way you want them with dividers etc and then cut everything at the distributor so every wire is exactly the length you want.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just did the ones on the drag car. I place them on the plugs & route them the way I want until I get them to the distributor. Then cut them about 1" too long. I use WD-40 to lube the wire & boot & slide the two together. Then cut the wire insulation back & crimp the connector. Be sure it's not twisted. Then another small shot of WD & put the boot in place! VIOLA!!!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Surprizingly it works out quite easily. Push the wire through the boot. If it wants to resist, get some dishwashing soap and put a thin layer of detergent on the wire then push to the 90 degree bend. Use small scredriver to bend end of wire in bottom of boot and push the wire in more when you lift it. Once wire has turned the corner simply push it through. Detergent acts as a lubricant and allows it to slide into the boot easily. Crimp clip onto wire with a "W" crimper. See note below on crimping the wire. Pull the wire and clip back into the boot. Note on crimping spark plug clips. It is essential that you properly "W" crimp these clips. If you don't they can come off, make bad electrical connection, etc. Use a Mallory, Taylor or MSD crimping tool. Rest the clip in the cup shaped side of the W crimper then put the wire in with the conductor facing straight down into the clip then squeeze. The crimped clip should have a factory look and be solidly attached. You can rinse the detergent off and allow the wire and boot to dry completely (or blow dry with compressed air). Note on inner conductor. Make sure the inner conductor is not damaged or nicked with the knife or stripper used to prepare wire. About 3/8 to 1/2" needs to fold back over the insulation and press against the interior of the crimped clip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts