Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My speedometer started bouncing all over just out of the blue. I pulled the cable, inspected it and lubed it but it didnt seem to help. Now I've got my gauge cluster spread out all over the living room floor. I have the speedometer in my hand. I slipped an allen wrench in the back so I could spin it a little with my finger. When I turn it, I can feel it bind slightly through about half of a rotation. Should it spin freely or is this small catch normal operation? Anyone know?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I wonder if that is the magnetic pull as it spins, I'm thinking no because there should be 2 per revolution right ??
Might be the head is worn out.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah that's what I was thinking, I wasn't really sure how the speedometer worked. I seen the magnet back there. As I was spinning the allen wrench to operate the speedometer I noticed the milage odometer was not changing at all. DUH! I can't beleive I didn't notice it before. The plastic odometer gears were bound up. I got them unstuck, but need to lube them up good. Hopefully it didn't damage the gears. Looks to be all fixed now I hope.

Now just gotta buy a new temp gauge to replace the one I broke while trying to get the gauge cluster out. :eek: Also with a serious case of 'while I'm at it' I think I'm going to just buy a new bezel and lens. My original is pretty ratty looking and the PO did a shoddy paint job on it. And just going to throw in a new speedo cable for good measure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts