Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone help decode the numbers for my 65 Fastback. I'm trying to come up with a build date and the DSO. I have figured out the 6 cyl. 3 speed and the interior. Want to have a new door tag made for it and would like to get as close as possible with info.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
I don't have the 'book' in front of me but yours would be an early October 64 car.

The DSO cannot be deduced. You will have to put what you want on it or make a good guess based on what you know.

Good luck

·
Registered
863 Posts
The closest car in Jim Smarts production guide is 5f09c327852 listed as 20 Oct 64...
The DSO is anyone's guess , but it's interesting that there are 3 cars with VINs close to yours that have DSO 24, Jacksonville. That might be a place to start.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I bought this body it had a 65 Georgia tag in the trunk. I've been thinking it was probably a Ga. car all it's life and was thinking the DSO might be 21 for Atlanta. Would that make any sense.

·
Registered
863 Posts
When I bought this body it had a 65 Georgia tag in the trunk. I've been thinking it was probably a Ga. car all it's life and was thinking the DSO might be 21 for Atlanta. Would that make any sense.
Since the original invoices for 64-66 cars are long gone. No one can argue with you about it. If you have a reason to believe DSO 21, then go for it.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, if the 785 comes before the 852 car then I suppose my date would be prior to the Oct. 20 date. Anyone have a good guess as to how many day's or weeks.

·
Registered
863 Posts
327410 is listed as 17 Oct.
Keep in mind , these are scheduled build dates and are not exact...My fastback for example has a scheduled build date of 26 Nov 64 which happened to be Thanksgiving Day, Im not sure, but I doubt they were working on Thanksgiving...Also the book has several cars before and after mine listed at 29 Nov

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW they were really spitting those cars out. I was thinkng my date would be early Oct. I guess the 19 th would be about as close as I can get.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
October 19, 1964 was a Monday, so it was probably either the 19th or 20th.

Frank

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the numbers come closer to the 20 th. Like we've said with no records to check who would know. Car might have been intended to be a Shelby but got sent down the wrong line.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
lol...I like the way you think :)

You now have the long lost first prototype of a prototype of a GT350

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No what really happened was this car never got built. It kept being pushed back down the line and would have been #563.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I also have a T code car built in October 64, on 10/29. 5F09T33999X. DSO is 23.

It had the 64 1/2 style carpet.

I went over the car in 1979 and was very confused when my new carpet arrived and went up the rockers. I still have the vinyl strips though. When I took it apart this time they were under the "new" carpet I put in back in 79.

The other somewhat odd thing about the car was, and I can't believe I didn't document this at the time, was that the air cleaner 200 Cid sticker, was not blue with the black writing, but it had the same color scheme as the 170 (and all the other V-8) stickers. Again I was confused when I got the new sticker from Mustangs Unlimited and it was the "wrong" color. But, I just put it on.

Can you tell what the CID sticker looked like on yours? Is it still even there?

Every Mustang person I've ever asked about the red and white 200 cid sticker looked at me like I was from Mars.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My car didn't have the original motor or trans. The guy had done a junk yard V/8 conversion to it. I stripped it down to the shell and started over. My choice was:

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh it's manly alright. It has to have the slicks on the back to be able to handle it. You just can't get off the line with the 235/60/15 street tires.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Phew....you had me worried.

Having a car in drag is something I would not want to touch with a ten foot pole.

:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts