Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I drive my 65 mustang, it makes a noise whenever I go over a bump. It sounds like a jingleing, or like I have a trailer attachted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,287 Posts
Sounds like you have something loose LOL

Sorry but I could not resist :)

You need to be more specific about the noise. Where is it coming from? Do you have stuff bouncing around in your trunk?


Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1989 Mustang GT Convertible
MCA #27261
MCA certified judge for 65's and late models
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,395 Posts
hate to ask the obvious, but check the trunk maybe you have something loose that moves around (tire, jack, etc) when you go over the bump

'66 coupe resto in progress... IT NEVER ENDS
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check to make sure all your exhaust system mounts are attached. The rubber mounts get old and break loose and will sometimes do that. Just a thought.

Jeff Crumpley
Austin, Texas
68 302 j-code coupe
99 5.0 Eddie Bauer Explorer
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have check my trunk and nothing is moving around. It only sounds like it is coming from the right side in teh rear. I have glass back on, so were are my rubber mounts
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,294 Posts
it sounds like an exaust problem, or maybe leaf springs. More then likley it is the exaust... your rubber bumpers should be around the tail pipes.... get under the car and rattle the exaust and see if it makes the same noise as when you go over a bump....

-Dave Flak
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,287 Posts
Take the spare tire out and see if something is loose under it. Also check in the trunk dropdown by the quarter panel. Something could be down there and not be seen.

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1989 Mustang GT Convertible
MCA #27261
MCA certified judge for 65's and late models
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It could be a lot of things, but your use of the word "jingle" reminded me of a problem I ran into with my 67- it sometimes made a "jingle" sound when hitting a bump. As I remember, when I replaced the rear shocks, I discovered a problem with the rear mount where either a washer was missing, or something broke, so that one washer was not pressed against the rubber bushing like it should - it was suspended a little and that allowed it to jingle against other metal when I hit a bump. THe sound drove me nuts for months until I figured it out.

Check this and the suggestions in the other posts. Good luck

1967 Fastback, 289, C-code, AT, PS,
motorsport intake and valve covers, Edelbrock 4V, cam - otherwise stock
dark moss green, parchment interior,
GT rear valance and tips
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,176 Posts
Check the rods (springs) for your trunk lid. Sometimes they bang together. Place a bit of rubber tubing around them to stop the metal to metal contact.

Regards,
BillGear

1966 Mustang Coupe, 302 custom roller cam, holley 650dp,http://www.289mustang.com
http://www.289mustang.com/images/vmfcar.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,365 Posts
Check the metal strap that holds your leaf springs together in line with each other. If it gets loose it will make noise like you described.

THE 90/90 RULE OF PROJECT SCHEDULES...
The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time. The last 10% of the project takes the other 90%.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top