Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You know I have noticed the pannles I buy to replace seem a littl funny to me. They are not exact replacemnts of the original..Why is that?? Seems easy to stamp out these things right to me...

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
just take a die grinder and open the holes up so a bolt will go through. Unless you are doing a concourse restoration, don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet sweaty things!!
I'm sure that some where along the way someone in the orient got the inch to metric conversion off and maybe a little was lost in translation. Remember, you are working on a car that is 45 years old. and new body panels made in a different country thousands of miles away where they probably never even had a Mustang on hand to copy parts from. At that time during the automotive industry little things like laser and robotics and CNC were science fiction and there were lots of "off by 1/8" here, off by 3/16" there" was common. Why do you think it is so hard to massage body parts on these older cars?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just take a die grinder and open the holes up so a bolt will go through. Unless you are doing a concourse restoration, don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet sweaty things!!
I'm sure that some where along the way someone in the orient got the inch to metric conversion off and maybe a little was lost in translation. Remember, you are working on a car that is 45 years old. and new body panels made in a different country thousands of miles away where they probably never even had a Mustang on hand to copy parts from. At that time during the automotive industry little things like laser and robotics and CNC were science fiction and there were lots of "off by 1/8" here, off by 3/16" there" was common. Why do you think it is so hard to massage body parts on these older cars?
Thanks MAN!! this is what I am going to do :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts