Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy schnikies! Bob Riggle crashed the Hemi Under Glass wheel standing Cuda with Jay Leno on board. Check out the video

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Why they ran that in the infield of an oval track and not on a drag-strip is beyond belief.

Glad that they were both okay and hope they get that car back into good nick.

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Should buff right out ,bummer for real though. Oddly enough this morning on the way to work I saw a lowered first gen 64/66 Cuda looked all road racey unfortunately I didn't drive my Mustang dew to the threat of really bad weather

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
My dad is friends with Bob. Been over 50 years.

This car is a replica that Bob built and then sold. He was doing that for several years. Not the original car. And it is going to be a complete rebuild with another body. Who is paying for it is still up in the air. (no pun intended)

Bob used to do shows at almost any place. There was a quarter mile dirt track in Mansfield Ohio (where we and he are from) that I remember him doing a show the summer of 1970. So this was definitely not a new experience.

Russ

·
Registered
669 Posts
wow that is crazy...one of the few unscripted/uncontrolled moments in these types of shows. If I was driving, it would be a long time before I'd want to try that again. With all of Bob's experience, I'm guessing he wont miss too much time.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Good thing Leno got his hand inside, cuz he mighta lost some parts if had kept hanging on to the roof.
Keep your hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times.

·
Spammer Hammer
9,543 Posts
My thought was towards the end of the tumbling, Jay did not appear to be strapped in very well at all. If he was to start with and the straps came loose, I would definitely be investigating that.

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
Spools, slicks and straight axles are not a good combination for cornering,
as they found out the hard way.
Glad no one was hurt.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Spools, slicks and straight axles are not a good combination for cornering,
as they found out the hard way.
Glad no one was hurt.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Exactly - take 800HP, custom suspension designed to take a wheelie down the dragstrip, big-n-little tire combo, 80yo driver screwing around in a parking lot....

What could go wrong?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts