Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was away on business for the wkend and I didn't want to put the miles on the '00 Gt 'Vert. Since my g/f is gonna be buying the car I decided why not leave the Stang with her for the wkend, let her get to know the car and work on driving 5spd with her mom and dad. I took her high mileage Honda for the wkend.
Tonight she tells me her dad loves the Stang and she has become much better at driving it. She then proceeds to tell me how they washed it for me! I first thought "oh no, they put it thru a auto wash place..."? Nope, they did it at my apartment complex by hand...good! Then I'm thinking "I bet she doesn't have car soap!!" Dear, what did you use to wash the car? "Dish soap" she replies!! Oh no!! Guess who as to wax the Stang tomorrow!! Oh well, no she knows.

Mike

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
uhhhh....you're freaking out because she washed your car (and God bless her for that!) with dish soap?

two words...

stress management

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Its the thought that counts, after all YOU left it with her/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are right. I'll have to call and hope I didn't come across too harsh!
It's just everything I've read and heard says washing a car with dish soap is a big no no!

Mike

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Tell her her skin is too soft and delicate, like flower petals, and you are concerned for her well being. Then you can buy her some car wash liquid and tell her, "Here, this is how much I care for you". /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
553 Posts
dish liquid is a no no? well that's the first i heard of it, i've been using Dawn for years. so what is everone using then? i guess there are probably a few different products, time to visit the car care aisle. i guess the worse it could be doing is stripping the wax off. my paint isnt all that great anyway, so i figure a good bath, dish liquid or not, is better than sitting all dusty and grimey /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was pretty good, I may have to try that! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pretty much everything I've read and heard over the past 10 years is that dish soap (almost any kinda..) has special "degreasers" and cleaners in them to help get all the caked on junk off dishes etc. I've always heard don't use it to wash cars unless you want to strip off all the wax and protectant we've spent time putting on the car!
I've always used something like Meguirs car wash soap. Just is like $6 for a nice size bottle. Little drop goes a long way /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Mike

G

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't sweat it. The car soap thing is waaaaay overated. Those manufacturures are some of the most unscrupulous you'll ever run into. They love it when the gearhead thinks that dish soap, whose first priority is not to hurt a lovely female hand, shouldn't be used on a vehicle.

The best thing you can do when washing your car, is to get the heavy stuff off without scrubbing. Lessens abrasive damage.

If you really want the mildest solution to wash with, consider baby shampoo. And don't skimp.

·
Registered
143 Posts
A gilrfriend using dish soap is minor. You need a 2 year old daughter who helps wash the car with the brillow side of a dish sponge! Good thing it was my wifes car. But now she knows better. A better one is my dads secretary just washed her 2002 Explorer at the car wash using the tire cleaning brush. It is now in the body shop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts