Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found the right gaskets this time, the Fel-Pro 1101-2. Another thing I found after re-installing the heads was I shot a freeze plug out of the block. We started filling the radiator and it dumped right back out onto the floor. I had to run to the auto parts store and buy a $.99 brass freeze plug. Am I correct in figuring that when I blew the head gasket it pressurized my coolant system and that was the weak link? I was wondering why I laid that much coolant down the track.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
It could certainly do it. Did you see an actual break in the blown gasket or did it just delaminate?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It delaminated I think. I could see where the coolant blew out. Never put a drop of coolant in any cylinder and there was none in the expensive Mobil 1 I put in the day before that I had to throw away.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Delamination is the best way to turn your mill into an air compressor. My 22r (toyota) did that and when I refilled the radiator percolated away like a freakin' Mr Coffee!

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Out of curiousity, which core plug went out of the block??

Also, what fasteners did you re-install the head with?

Glad to hear there was no major damage.....to the car...

hehehe

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Thanks for the update....let us know how it goes once everything is back together...

Were the old fasteners also ARP?

Any pock marks in the piston tops from the episode?

Ain't N20 fun?? *G*

1 - 7 of 7 Posts