Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Hesitation re-visited

600 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  white66coupe1
G
With regards to my post last week about hesitation with an Edelbrock 2121 and 1406 carb on my 289, I contacted Edelbrock and they recommended changing the step up springs and metering rods to a silver(8in Hg.) spring and a .073X.042(#1455) rod.

I did this today and re-adjusted the idle mixture and took it out for a spin. When cold, there is still some hesitation but is is virtually gone once warm. However I noticed a significant increase in response which means it was probably running lean to begin with.

Now, I have not had the car to a track yet but from the way it runs I would guess it would be around 14 sec. in the 1/4 if I could get traction. I have been considering changing the rear end from the non-posi 2.79 to a posi 3.25. I have a C4.

Well while out for my test drive I stopped on a lonely country road and without holding the brake I nailed the throttle. The tires are 195/75/14 and I immediately had rubber squeal. Then it stopped and I thought the trani was slipping but the tires had began to spin and smoke. I kept the power on and wound up leaving over 200 feet of rubber and smoking up the whole street. About 1/2 or so of the rubber was twin tracks. I was amazed that I could do this just by nailing the throttle with 2.79 gears. How did I get twin strips without having a posi?

Obviously this would limit my acceleration in a race. If I up the rear end ratio to 3.25 even with a posi this would make the tire spin problem worse. So now I am re-considering. What do you think I should do? Would fatter tires help?

Thanks

Steve D
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
852 Posts
Hello,

I was just reading your response about "lower gears spinning less out of the hole". My car has a big upper RPM cam and I have little rubber off the line so I am planning on going to a set of 3.25 gears. I simply assumed that they would burn more rubber and that I may have to invest even further in a posi.

Can I move from an open 2.79 to a 3.25 and keep my open rear? Should I expect even less rubber?

Thanks, Greg.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.