Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the valve covers & gaskets and now when driving the car REALLY hesitates around 35mph. Once I get the car going I can do 60 with no problem it seems only at low speeds. I have a '65 convertible and the engine was a 289 but has been replaced with a 302. I have never changed the points since I had the car (4 years). Could this be the problem? Should I then replace the distributor with a Pentrrox system as i see advertised? Also there is a slight knocking noise coming from the lower portion of the motor - could it be a bad crankshaft? ANY HELP would be great as I am new into classic cars>>>Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
start with the basis,check the timing, give it your standard tuneup,play with your carb a little and upgrade to electronic ignition and see if that might solve your hesitation problem . as far as the knocking from the bottom end, that could be a bearring problem etc. drop the oil pan and check things out, check your oil filter for debris. ..im sure youl get alot of other insight from the people on here they know their $h*T

·
Registered
526 Posts
If it ran OK before you replaced the valve covers then you may have knocked something loose or replaced the plug wires wrong. Just look at everything you have touched and check the firing order too. You didn't mention if it idles OK. Does it have a miss too? Really need more info.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
You may have knocked something loose, like a spark plug wire, when you were working on the valve covers. Also, check for anything else in the general vicinity of where you were working. May have knocked something else loose, or forgot to hook something back up, like a vacuum line. It happens!
Good Luck....!

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
4 years?? Change your points! Or buy a Pertronix. . .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE. IT SEEMS TO IDLE FINE, AND DOES NOT MISS. I NEVER REMOVED ANY OF THE WIRES TO INSTALL THE VALVE COVERS BUT DID CHECK THEM TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE ALL SET. TODAY I DID ADD SOME DRY GAS AND CHANGED THE FUEL FILTER. WHEN I GET HOME TONITE I WILL TAKE IT FOR A RIDE TO SEE IF THAT HELPS. ANY OTHER IDEAS? THANKS AGAIN

1 - 6 of 6 Posts