Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post on the new board.

I have rebuilt my 289 for 300-330Hp with an Edelbrock performer intake and 1406 carb. I have always had hesitation. Timing is perfect and I added a 1" spacer, changed the step up springs to the highest vacuum, and have the acceleration pump on the richest hole. All this helped but it is still there.

When cold it is really bad and will stall if you hit the throttle hard. As it warms up it gets better but never completely goes away. I am pretty sure it is going lean. Should I play with the jets and metering rods next or am I overlooking something obvious?

The engine runs flawlessly and powerfully everywhere else.

Thanks for any help.

Steve D

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
yo Joe,
A 50cc pump and a larger squirter always did the trick on the race car...pump cam change can help but won't get more fuel in the engine than the pump can deliver...

I have no idea how to help the original poster since I have only run Holleys....boring, huh?? *G*

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
You say the timing is ok but how did you set it? If you used a light the mark on the
damper could be off. Turn up the timing and see if it helps. Retarded timing gives the
same symptom you are having. Proper timing is set with the motor at normal temp., drive
the car up a hill or in a high gear and keep turning up the timing till you get a little clatter
and back if off a little. It's called "road timing" and is the only real way to set timing. Type
of fuel, altitude, gear ratio, weight of vehicle, compression ratio and lots of other things
come into play when you set timing. I don't own a timing light and have been working on
fords for 25 years.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, that's the way I set it. The damper reads 24 deg. but it is off. I set it so the slight ping under power just goes away on regular gas (9.6:1 comp. ratio). The mechanical advance comes in quickly and gives about a 30 deg total advance by 3000 RPM and the vacuum advance gives another 10 deg.

I am running a new Accel Billetproof distributor and coil with 8mm Accel wires and NGK plugs. So I don't think the timing is the culprit. Engine has only 1500 miles since the rebuild. Perhaps I should contact Edelbrock for their opinions.

Steve D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Steve,

have same setup on my 351C (1406, performer intake with a 1" spacer)...found that the idle screws were the culprit...seems that there was a slight hesitation due to the transition from the idle to primary circuit...seated the idle screws (gently) and backed them out 1 1/2 turns...then adjusted for highest rpm at idle....got rid of my problem...

71redrag

1 - 6 of 6 Posts