Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new thermostat housing that has the hex screw on top, in case you want to put the temp sending sensor there, and coolant keeps seeping thru. I’ve tried Teflon tape around it a couple times already, and still seeping out. Any suggestions on what else to use? 67 Mustang 289.
Thanks 5E534C3A-B36A-4969-8D03-BC1C96BAEA6E.jpg

·
Registered
652 Posts
You can get a complete kit (bolts, thermostat housing, and gasket) for $15. At that price I would just buy a new one!

·
Registered
422 Posts
If a couple times = a couple turns of teflon tape I'd try a few more. For sprinkler fittings I usually go 7-8 turns. The tape is a lot thinner than it was in the good 'ol days.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have the same housing installed and it was also leaking at the beginning. 6-7 turns of Teflon tape fixed the issue. Later I installed the T-sensor connected to the dashboard, 6-7 turns of Teflon it it is good.

Keep in mind the direction you wrap the Teflon tape around. I know it is a low brainer, but sometimes I do it wrong at the beginning.

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
Easy fix... Remove the Thermostat housing....and then remove the threaded hex nut...Then use Permatex SuperBlue Gasket Sealer...on the threads...Let dry overnight...then re-install next day...

She'll never leak again...

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
....just as long as he doesn't have a crack in the Thermostat Housing...as was possibly suggested above....lol...

Even though Tapered... I've seen them leak too in the past... The tapering helps...but is in no way a guarantee against a leak..

Just Permatex it! Problem solved!

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New housing was cracked. Then I cleaned up the old cast one, and was rushing, and didn’t notice that the thermostat slipped down when I was reinstalling, and I cranked her down. Filled with antifreeze and she started pouring out the bottom of the housing. It was hot and humid, and I lost my mind!! Lol. So I cracked that one too!! Just got my new one, and installing now. BTW, great idea the Ford Engineers had when they decided to put the bottom housing bolt behind the water pump!! Thx guys. Now I’m nervous on installing this. Lol. When I was young, I used to do this stuff all the time with no issues. Thx for the help all.

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
There is an easy trick you can use to avoid the thermostat is moving. Just use a rubber band to hold it in place during the installation. Not my idea, but worked perfectly for me without the need for any kind of adhesive.

Good luck :)

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts