Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question for you all; while I'm a 'stanger, this is in reference to another vehicle I've got. However, you all have got a lot of smarts here so you can probably answer it.

I've got a front wheel drive {the OTHER carmaker} van. When my wife went out to leave today, she got no cranking. I get home from work, pull the starter, and see 2 broken flywheel teeth (this is an automatic) right where the starter would engage.

A couple questions:

1. If I spin the flywheel past these broken teeth, is it likely that I can get the car started just like always and, as long as I don't land on the broken teeth again, I'm in business? Or will I come to a dead stop on cranking when I get to the missing teeth?

2. On a front-wheel drive minivan, how much labor time do you all think it might take to pull the transaxle so that the flywheel can be replaced?

Hey all, I appreciate all the help. Working on minivans means less time working on Mustangs!

·
Registered
2 Posts
In answer to your question number one. You're in business IF you start the cycle just past the lost teeth. It is likely that the cranking can continue past the spot but there is no guarantee that it won't stop at the missing teeth. You you have a better chance of a start if the starter can be engaged longer. Also there is the distinct possibility that you will wind up breaking more teeth past the spot the more you try to start with this setup.

Don't know about the time to remove the transaxle. Man I hate those things! Some early vehicles required you to remove the engine and transaxle as a unit. Not that you couldn't do it the other way it was just easier, if you can believe that. Not likely that you will have to, just don't be surprised.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts