Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wifeypoo and I are making a little getaway to Arizona Feb 17, 18 and 19. Neither of us have spent much time in AZ, other than flying through and the Grand Canyon once. We fly in and out of Phoenix, got a rental car, and we want to see as much as we can in 3 days flat. Our primary objective is sun, warmth and DRY! We're going on 30 consecutive days of rain up here in WA!

So where do you suggest we go? What are the must-see things? Don't want to do the GC again, too far and too cold. I'm open to suggestions, let's have 'em!

Oh, and I'm sure the wife would understand if we accidentally happened across a car show in our travels. Anything going on that weekend?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Are you flying in on the 17th and flying out on the 19th?
If so...that's pretty tight timing.

Hmmmm.. Friday night, dinner out.. There's tons of awesome places to eat. Downtown Scottsdale.. Great place to walk around and eat. South Monutain is cool to drive up and check out the lights after dinner.

Saturday... Desert Museum in Tucson is awesome and you can make it back for the largest weekly car show in the country at the Scottsdale Pavillions. Starts around 4pm til 8pm. Lots of outlet malls. Downtown kinda sucks. cave Creek is cool to hang out in. Some good desert hiking locally.

Sunday... hmmm.. depends when you fly out on what you can do..

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Can't forget Sedona...
Its really scenic and there are some great roads out there.

Saturday Nights at the Scottsdale Pavillions is one of the largest weekly show and shine car shows on the west coast.

·
Registered
1965 Honey Gold A-Code Coupe
413 Posts
I concur with Sedona, though it probably won't be as warm as Phoenix. Jerome is fun if you like touristy little shops and art galleries. There used to be a pretty cool mining museum and mine tours. Yeah, the Desert Museum here in Tucson is great.

Wish I could offer more. Have fun!

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input folks!

Looking at a map, it appears there may be cool stuff to see south and north of Phoenix, but we probably can't do both. Sooooo ... if we have to pick just one, which would it be:

1. South to Tucson, then to Tombstone and that area

2. North to Sedona/Red rock/Jerome/Flaggstaff

Wadayasay?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Its more scenic up north at the expense of cooler weather.
Personally, I'd head north...

·
Registered
1965 Honey Gold A-Code Coupe
413 Posts
Well.... I'm biased as I was born and raised in Flagstaff. ;) I'd head North!

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
The weather could be rough up north at that time of the year... check the net for updates..

As for Tombstone.... it's a long haul from Phx..

Desert Museum is pretty awesome in Tucson.

Sedona is really nice too.. just remember the interstate going up there is horrible for traffic...especially returning...

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Forget the interstate, take highway 89-A!
A lot more scenic and a LOT more fun.
Just make sure the car you're driving can handle well :winkgrin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts