Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in my garage today getting ready to install new brakes on my Honda. Just as I was about to start, a guy strolls in and asks what size engine do I have in my Mustang? He told me I passed him on my street a few days ago. He pulled over on a hill and I went by him before another car came along. As I went into 2nd I burned a little rubber and took off. He said he'd been up and down the street trying to get a look at it a few times and finally found me at home. Usually when someone comes in my garage they start by telling me what I should do to the car. What color, what wheels or it sits too low but this guy liked it just the way it was. He clearly understood all the work that has gone into it so far. I thought it was pretty neat.

·
Registered
222 Posts
When I was building my Cobra replica, all the neighborhood guys would stop by my garage. While nice to stop by it means you get like 50% of your planned work done...

Now days me and my buddies meet at my mechanic’s shop on Saturdays (where I’m keeping my ‘65 Fastback build) with 6 packs of beer and pizza to talk cars and BS while WORKING.

Lol...

·
Registered
828 Posts
I don’t mind a quick chat but some people want to stay forever....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
I had a 302 engine size emblem on the back of my car for over a year. That, and a year-of-manufacture license plate too. The emblem was a minor nuisance to clean/wax around and it made no impact I could discern. I was still constantly being asked what I had under the hood, so I removed it. The YOM plate might as well not be there either, I hear "What year is it?" all the time. So recently I took the plunge for a personalized plate that says, well, what else would it say?

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
Now in my mind it played out kinda like this
Back into reality this kid with a riced out Honda of some sort pulled up to the light next to me ,yells over "hey that still have the 289?" Nope 5.0 "oh" the light turned green and we pulled away albeit with a string oh rush hour traffic in front oh us and I had a Left turn to make .SIGH I guess to give credit where it's due he did know to ask 289

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,512 Posts
I had a 302 engine size emblem on the back of my car for over a year. That, and a year-of-manufacture license plate too. The emblem was a minor nuisance to clean/wax around and it made no impact I could discern. I was still constantly being asked what I had under the hood, so I removed it. The YOM plate might as well not be there either, I hear "What year is it?" all the time. So recently I took the plunge for a personalized plate that says, well, what else would it say?

View attachment 761047
Forty C IOUs? 😂

·
Registered
925 Posts
My 66 Mustang has the original 200 L6 engine (though it's not on the road yet) but my 67 Cougar has a 1970 390 in it.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
When I'm asked I tell people its a 327 bored .030 over which is in fact, exactly what it is.

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
The other day a very attractive young woman at the pharmacy drive-thru struck up a conversation about my car, loved the color, complimented the sound (yeah, but I'm married and old enough to be her dad) then she goes and asks me if it ran on regular gas or diesel. :cautious: Moment over.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,320 Posts
When I was building my Cobra replica, all the neighborhood guys would stop by my garage. While nice to stop by it means you get like 50% of your planned work done...

Now days me and my buddies meet at my mechanic’s shop on Saturdays (where I’m keeping my ‘65 Fastback build) with 6 packs of beer and pizza to talk cars and BS while WORKING.

Lol...
Do you get any work done?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts