Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the Re: on the rearend. I have found one within driving distance for $75. Came off of a 3spd 6 that was converted to a 8. Is that asking for trouble? Yes, it is a manual. A retoration and a daily driver. Not really any noise while driving but when I brake and shift I get very loud, whole body(of the car) bang. Am I looking in the wrong place? Thanks Pat.
Seth

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Unless the rear is either coming out of a running car you can ride in to verify its condition or from a trusted source, you have no way of knowing if you'll improve your situation with a replacement...

BTW, check you slip yoke clearance at the back of the trans and the condition of your u-joints....
Any speed-related vibrations to report??

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't remember any vibrations and I have since pulled the top end to have a valve job done. Trusted friend(I hope) quoted $325 to do the work. Said guides were shot and that I needed wider valves to compensate for some of the guides and that some guides needed to be replaced. I hope I am spending money from my very limited budget wisely. As for the rearend, guy says it is good, but car is not running. I would imagine it is hard to find a rear from a car that runs. I may have to take my chances.
I spin my wheels(intentional pun) much less now, thanks to your posts. Thanks Pat.
Seth

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Suggestion on replacement rear....if there's any way to sample the gear oil, do so...if it comes out like black goo, be suspicious....also, if water comes out....well, you know...*G*

Also, do the same checks for play on it as yours....try also rotating the axle shaft...this will rotate the pinion faster....listen for any funny noises...

RE: valve job....usually, unless the seats are really shot, they just grind them and the valves and put it back together....your valves may have needed replacement because the stems were worn...
Hopefully, they put in hard seats to go with your new valves and guides...

What fun! *G*

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts