Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm in the middle of changing my cam etc. and thought I would replace the old dip stick tube while I was at it. I cannot get that puppy to move! Anyone know the trick for getting these things out of the timing chain cover?

Thanks, John

·
Administrator
13,032 Posts
Once you take off the bolt holding the ds tube in, try turning it with a pair of channel locks. Mine was a little tight but with a little effort it came out.
Stan

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. Mine does not seem to a bolt holding it in. It seems to be a press fit. Which side of the timing cover? Radiator or engine?

Thanks again, John

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
There is not a bolt holding it in, rather there is just a bolt holding to the head or block, as you observed the fit is just a press fit.

These can be a piece of cake or a major project, it just depends on how tightly it is siezed. What you want to do is get a force applied to it that will either turn it, or lift it, or both. The major thing to avoid is to not break it off clean with the top of the hole.

As long as you don't do that it is just a matter of applying enough twisting force to break it free.

If you do break it off, then it gets tricky.

John Harvey

1 - 4 of 4 Posts