Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I attempted to get my car back together this weekend, I decided to drain and re-fill the transmission and rear axle. Since I had read that some purchase or use an old pump to draw the fluid out, I determined that a 1/8" NPT drainplug would do the trick on the differential housing.

I drilled a hole towards the pass side, so I would miss the ring gear. Tapped the hole and inserted the $0.97 brass plug in the drain hole.

Still got a few hours to complete re-assembly on the car. It might starts again on wednesday...

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Steve - How do you avoid getting metal shavings in the diff?

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I slowly drilled out the hole. Also, I started with a 1/8" drill and stepped up the drill sizes by 1/32" to 21/64" (size required for 1/8" NPT tap). Once the hole was drilled out and taped, I ran some gear oil through the differential to flush out any loose pieces (which would have been small due to the small increases in the drill sizes).

I also will be drilling out a hole in the used hockey puck (which I place on top of my floor jack when I lift the car, so I minimize the scratching, etc of the car) for clearance around the drain plug.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts