Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car does not sit exactly the same in the rear. I had it over to the frame shop and he pulled it some but said it would spring back after a certain point so he gave up(didn't charge me a penny either). We are guessing that my car was once repaired with the right rear frame rail a little high.

I'm considering just shimming the left rear leaf spring a bit or custom drilling my shackle holes to get it to completely level out. Its only a half inch anyway but its just enough to but the crap out of me.

I've been fighting with this for a while and want it level before I stick down the right rear wheel house and quarter panel.

I know it won't be perfect and I should cut the whole car apart but I just want to get the car cleaned up and be able to drive it around anymore.

So what would be the best easiest without compromizing the handling too much;

spring shim
shackle hole adjustment
recurve one of the springs
or?

G

·
I agree I dont like any of your choices. I would fix it right and be done with it. I am the same way you are, my car has to sit level or it bugs the crap out of me

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I agree with the others, fix it right.\

Most of the cutting I'm going to do to my car will be to fix all the stuff that the last guy didn't get right. The rear framerails are too short (all the repops are) so I'll have to drill out all the spot welds, cut them out, move them, and re-weld. Then, I'll have to cut the floopan, chisel the lap-weld on the firewall, butt weld it back in and patch the hole. Then there's the sheetmetal the PO welded over what looks like a perfectly OK torque box... oops, I turned this into a rant :eek:

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Loosen the rear bumper and angle it slightly to account for the difference. It is small enough that if you take 1/4 of if out with the bumper the eye will no longer percieve it....excpet for your own obviously ;)

I have the same exact problem on my 65 and that is the 'solution' I have been living with for a couple years now. I am planning on installing a 3 link with adjustable ride height coil overs which will let me control it and set it so that it is completely gone (as well as improve handling and all the other fun things that go along with that upgrade) but until then it is purely a visual thing...and prob less perceptable when the driver is sitting in the car.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Re-arch one spring 1/4" either pos or neg to counter the other. Remember, most re-arch jobs are half or the required drop. If you need an inch drop, re-arch 1/2". At least from past experiance it has been that way.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Well, since you mentioned that you went to a frame shop, I'm assuming that they actually measured your frame height and determined that it is actually bent??

I had a 66 Mustang Coupe with this same problem, It turns out the Driver's side spring had sagged more than the passenger side, over the years. I had a spring shop re arch the springs and all was fine.

Since you clearly state that you would like to drive this car for a while, I suggest that you have your springs re arched.

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
If you haven't had the frame actually measured, I'd get new springs and drive it a bit for them to settle. Then decide what to do.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Put a half inch lowering block between the axle and the spring. Done.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I once had my whole side out by almost half inch after new springs all around. I was perplexed but it ended up being corrected with a front end alignment. The PO must have had a hack align it before, one strut rod was way out of whack causing the issue. Just something else to check.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK where are all the dirty minded people here? HA! I thought my half inch title would invoke at least one comment about something or other.

The right rear frame rail is up a little. I took my leaf springs off and the right one was more arched than the left which exaggerated the outness? I took my springs to the shop and had them both tested and they re-de-arched the right one a bit. Amazing thing to watch that was.

Itsa louuuukeen gouda now. What little difference there is in the frame rails has never been a problem because I drag raced the thing for several years and I could let go of the wheel at 110 and it ran straight as an arrow.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hottarod said:
OK where are all the dirty minded people here? HA! I thought my half inch title would invoke at least one comment about something or other.

The right rear frame rail is up a little. I took my leaf springs off and the right one was more arched than the left which exaggerated the outness? I took my springs to the shop and had them both tested and they re-de-arched the right one a bit. Amazing thing to watch that was.

Itsa louuuukeen gouda now. What little difference there is in the frame rails has never been a problem because I drag raced the thing for several years and I could let go of the wheel at 110 and it ran straight as an arrow.

Thanks for the help.
Funny you say this, because the first thing I thought was "your looking for an extra half inch and your screen name is Hottarod"?!?!?!!! :p I didn't have any suggestions for your problem, so I didn't reply. I was waiting for someone else to make a comment though.
Good luck,
Joe

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Hottarod said:
Funny, my first reaction to the thread title was, "That's what SHE said!".
For some weird reason I decided to take the mature road for once and let it pass... :p

·
Banned
647 Posts
Hey I need an extra half inch

Yep...I have heard that one before. I just tell her to shut up and push harder.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts