Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or anyone elses for that matter. ;)
I seem to have a problem with my horns. To be honest, they`re not very horny :eek: (loud)
I hooked a jumper to the connection and grounded the horn and it blared quite loudly. But when I use the steering wheel horn switch, It`s quite pathetic :(
I tried cleaning the contacts, and it got a little better, but still not what I want.
Any advice?
TIA
Jack

P.S. I aint afraid of no stinkin` curses! ;)

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
sounds like dropped voltage thru wiring or dirty ground. to check ground just jumper battery + term to horn with its normal ground to sheet metal rather than another jummper as you implied in your post. additionally, there is and slotted screw adjustment on horn you can try - just turn it with horn button pushed and see if it gets louder. next would be to check your voltage at hornand see how much lower it is than straight battery voltage while horn is being blown. may need to clean contacts at headlight switch (source of horn power thru circuit breaker), steering column connector, and firewall connector. PM me if you need more help.

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Most times, the lack of loudness can be traced to a bad ground right at the horn. Clean off the paint behind the horn on the support bracket where the bolt goes through, and also on the horn itself. If that doesn't work, then you have to work back through the wiring to see where the extra resistance is.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clean off the paint behind the horn on the support bracket where the bolt goes through, and also on the horn itself
I should have stated that I did this too :eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts