Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Awesome run and course! The way you have the camera mounted gives a great view. I've never seen that much asphalt without light poles everywhere.

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
I watched the video again and realized that course has a hundred intermediate cones guiding you in the general direction you should be heading along with the chalk lines. We have none that up here, it's gate to gate with nothing in-between and it's very easy to miss a gate and get lost. After 3 years and 50 - 60 events I pretty much have it figured out with experience and the SCCA manual, but I think our novice retention rate would improve dramatically if we offered more direction.

Reactions: Nosara and 2nd 66

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reading cones is key. This is an scca event. We have another organization that runs wider faster courses, with fewer cones, and its a test because you must look forward. Hopefully I can get some vid from that upcoming event, currently on a waitlist. (County has capacity capped at 75, but covid conditions are improving)

·
Registered
11,284 Posts
I watched the video again and realized that course has a hundred intermediate cones guiding you in the general direction you should be heading along with the chalk lines. We have none that up here, it's gate to gate with nothing in-between and it's very easy to miss a gate and get lost. After 3 years and 50 - 60 events I pretty much have it figured out with experience and the SCCA manual, but I think our novice retention rate would improve dramatically if we offered more direction.
Spot on . I would love to run a course with lines . Walking the course as much as possible helps but at speed and sitting lower in the car then standing walking changes perspective a lot

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
@groho do you have a build thread, or can you share the specs on your car? It sounds amazing. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@groho do you have a build thread, or can you share the specs on your car? It sounds amazing. Thanks.
Its a '68 302 (C8 block, 2M crank) running AFR165 58cc heads, static compression is 9.8:1. Running a 650 QFT carb (love that carb!) specifically set up for road racing; floats, jet extensions, spring needle&seats. WC T5 and 8" w 3.90 true trac....and the cremdelacrem, stock disc/drum brakes. The front susp is all SoT with Hotchkis 1.5s single adjustable shocks, to be upgraded to SoT double adjustable coilovers (when they arrive, thank you Shaun). Maier panhard in the rear with 5 leaf. KRC power steering, with ABS 13:1 quicksteer box.
Nice run Randy. I love the excitement at the end. That's what its all about!!

Since I drove that course, let me know if you want some constructive feedback. I can post it here as a comment or PM you.
Send me a PM, I'm always looking for feedback and input. One key point, I'm try to better understand my KRC pump, if I get too tight in a turn it wants to lock, get very stiff. Dont know if its an RPM issue going below 1000rpm or if I need to up the GPM control valve from 2.5 to 2.65.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I autocrossed with the Central PA region in the late '90's and our courses had lines and cones like seen in Groho's video. I watched one of Nailbender's videos and immediately thought to myself where are all the cones? Yikes!

A couple days ago I realized that the Detroit Region holds several events within about a mile of my home, I'm thinking I might just get involved again! Well, once I get the new engine and trans installed!

Reactions: 2nd 66

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,839 Posts
Great run. Great video, too. My favorite, the course worker giving you a fist bump!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts