Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aren't wasp nest pretty cool! I found one on Wednesday when I was outback in our bone-yard at work. I had pretty much gone through all of the 70's mustangs looking for a heater cable set-up for a customer's car, and finally found one in the very last 1970 coupe I looked in. all the others were missing or broken. Anyway the dashpad is already gone from the car making it real easy to get my ratchet in under the dash to loosen up the cables at the controls and then on top of the heater box. never did it cross my mind that the heater box was full of wasp that were pissed off at me because I was messing with their home. Here I am laying over the driver's seat trying to reach the ¼-inch screw on top of the box, since I didn't have access from the passenger side door since it was jammed shut.

All of a sudden, they started coming out from the heater box faster than I could say OH $h!#!!! I dropped all of the tools I had in my possession and backed out of the car as fast as I could. The car directly behind me had no door on it, and I fell right in on the passenger seat! I think this is what helped me walk away with not a sting, as they were flying out of the car like crazy. I guess at that moment I had became one with the car I fell in.... AAOOUUUMMMMM......

I went back later with a full can of Carb. spray (all I could find in the shop) and unloaded on the heater box, and retrieved my tools.

My wife is always telling me I need to delegate more task at work, but I enjoy going through the old Mustangs, and do so when ever I get the chance! However....at that moment, I figured she had a very good point. So I left instructions for one of my guys to pull the cables off on my day off (yesterday), so I would have them available for a project I'm working on Friday morning. By Golly it worked! ;) They were sitting on my desk when I showed up for work this morning.

If there is a lesson to be learned here it is this.... DELEGATE! ::

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Around here we have the Ssssssssssss option. Ya look in the car, see SLIM, and run like he!! :)

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Used to go over to Ft. Myers to get parts from a nice ol' guy who had Mustang parts cars. When first going there, in the original location, would take a stick or a moulding, etc. and bang on the hulks and make noise. One day, heard the sound of a rattler :: that I had heard once before. Got up on a car and waited a bit throwing parts around. Actually it was rare, as snakes will generally retreat from an area that gets traffic. What was worse was fire ants! :: Took a buddy with me and he got into some. Had to take all his clothes off. He had several bites and was miserable. :(

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
So, that Mustang had the fully charged version of the Wasp option! My I6 coupe had 4 separate nests (2 mud, 2 papers) but thankfully the occupants weren't in.

Fire ants, ugh! I've heard they've finally made it to California a couple years ago and we also have Africanized killer bees. Somehow a can of Raid doesn't seem to be enough!

Dean T

1 - 4 of 4 Posts