Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here is the new system. I see some of you like it already. I sure do. I fixed a couple of things real quick: the first thing was new boards default to allowing anonymous posters, that's fixed.

As far as the separation from the others, well, that could be done. But, that is also why I'm considering moderators. A moderators only job would be to move posts to their correct forum. It's very simple in this software - you can see I already moved the 'wanted' ads in the proper place.

Have fun playing with it. This thing is here to stay - we'll all have to noodle on when we set the deadline on the other board as well as what to do with the data there.

Thanks!

-bob

G

·
0 Posts
Bob, firstly thanx for the old and new forums.

If the old data is going to be lost (I said if), would it be possible to leave the old forum up in "read only" mode once you decide to shut it down. If space is a problem, maybe one/some of us could find some.

Once again Thanx for your continuing hard work.

66 coupe 289 2v c4 - daily driver

TJ

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Thanks Bob...great work!!!

Runs like a charm right out of the box...

See my post in the picks and pans thread for a software glitch that happened to me...I'll try to replicate it if possible...may have just been an anomaly...

Keep up the great work...!

Pat

http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/racecar_thm01.JPG

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
And we really do have to do something about us all being "strangers"....

By god, you're no stranger to anyone here!! *G*

Pat

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
For removing the vehicle wanted ads from the forum....

I gave the posters the benefit of the doubt and pointed them to the right place...

If possible, I'd give the new board a month to settle in before closing down the other one....putting up a referer page would be a nice touch for those who haven't stopped by in a while....

It also would get people here from the search engines that would still have the old site listed but whose spiders haven't gotten into the new one....

Pat

Pat

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Hey, I'm a newbie now! Alright!! Thanks Bob for the site. It's great. I think the forum wouldn't need a moderator if it wasn't so near the classifieds and want ads. Just my opinion though...

also the top of the site says classifieds. Are we just part of the classified section now? Makes me feel kinda bad hanging out in the classifieds.

James Bishir

My car and the VMF parking lot are at:
http://www.geocities.com/Bishir1/FrontPage.html<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by bishir on 03/05/01 01:08 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

G

·
0 Posts
You 'da man :)

I love it.

Full Throttle
Instant Messanger MikeFullThrottle
1970 Mach1 351C

·
Registered
10,587 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
So far, I really like the looks of the new system.

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 coupe 302
66 fastback 351W

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Hey Bob, how about trying to free up some space for the bio and sig lines? We like to learn abou t and get to know each other and 250 character doesn't allow me to type more than 3 sentences. How about 250 words? Thanks and let us know when you fix it if you can. Thanks!

James Bishir

My 69vert and the VMF parking lot are at:
http://www.geocities.com/Bishir1/FrontPage.html

·
Registered
672 Posts
Thanks for all your hard work, Bob!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Thanks for all of your hard work Bob!

Ooops! Double post...
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by cpc101 on 03/05/01 01:47 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Anyway we get tranfer the number of post from the old forum? It took me a looong time to get up to 288. :^) I do like the new format.

G

·
0 Posts
Bob,

If the database from the old forum isn't compatible with the new, I'd like to try and "massage" the data in the old DB to be compatible.

I've downloaded the WWWThreads software and MySQL. I'll create a mock VMF site on my home PC That I'll attempt to import the old posts. If you want me to give it a whirl then I'll need you to make a dump of the old DB and put it somewhere I can FTP it to my PC.

If they're not compatible then I'll try to add or remove fields from the old DB until they are. It may not work but there's alot of information stored in there and I think anyone who posted their heart and soul out on the old board would agree with me that every attempt should be made to rescue it. Starting from scratch because the search feature wasn't working seems a bit extreme.

Now, If I do get it to work then the old DB would undoubtedly overwrite any of the new posts starting to accumulate here. Maybe you should tell people to use this as a test only area until the fate of the old DB has been determined.

Let me know.

G

·
0 Posts
I see that the bio only lets you put in 250 characters. Most of us were able to type much more than that with the last forum. Also, I could not transfer my username "Charles Turner" because there was a space in the ID.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
This is much better. Look how quick people are changing.

Any chance you could add a couple more skins to the display preferences? Or perhaps could I create one just for the VMF?

I think it would be good to lock a skin in for the Forum vs. the Classifieds to make it clearer where you are and what you should be doing.

Thanks a million.

·
Registered
487 Posts
If I being of unsound mind and failing body can find my way around here "in the dark", then all the other OF's should be able to do likewise.....Shoot, I'll bet that even Midlife can figure out how this works....he he

Anyway, thanks for the upgrade....I feel younger already....lol

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Perhaps there could be two categories... General (this one) and Test. The test forum could be for people trying to figure out how to post pictures and set up their signature files.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
Bob:

Nice work. It may be a bit different but it still does a commendable job of getting information disseminated to those of us with a need to know. Since the old forum is still up for now, will posts there show up here or vice versa?

67 Vintage Burgandy 390GTA with most of the bells and whistles

1 - 20 of 25 Posts