Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the car to a show on Saturday night and on the way there the engine got very hot. Of course, it was 95 degrees...

So I am looking to replace my stock water pump with a unit that moves more coolant. I want it to replace the stock unit exactly. Can anyone recommend one?

I already have a 4-row radiator, correct placement of my fan and shroud, water wetter, and every other step you can take to keep the 289 cool, but the hot Texas summer is still too much.

·
Premium Member
11,701 Posts
Keep an eye on your heater core if you go hi-flow. If it is old or of the off-shore variety it may puke all over your carpets.

Try running less coolant (or none) and more water. You might also look into Purple Ice. I got some Purple Ice but have not put it in the car yet. My new A/C drives the heat up on 95+ days to 210, which I don't like.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
An old fallacy.....

Water must be given the time to release the heat it has absorbed. So, if your radiator is moving "X" amount of air versus "Y" amount of time (or travel of water through the cores), to increase the flow decreases the time exposed to the heat exchange. You may actually may want to slow the water down a tad...that's what they used to have to do with the ol flatheads- place a water restrictor in the neck at the radiator. The high flow units (which is all you can really get anyway anymore) will most likely not help unless the impeller on your pump is corroded, worn, etc to where it's not actually moving enough water. Check the amount of clearance between the fan/radiator, possibility of lower hose partial collapse, etc.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I installed a Flowcooler water pump with a 2-row radiator. It solved all of my overheating problems.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
If you have all those cooling items and are still overheating, your problem must be elsewhere. Are you sure the gauge is accurate? Improper ignition timing can also cause overheating. I forget whether it's too much advance or retard.

Are you sure your radiator is in good shape? Even a new one can have solder in the flues. That was the case on both of my previous radiators. I now have a 3-row that keeps the temp a nice 180.

You might also try an oil cooler, since a great deal of engine heat transfers to the oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts