Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm in the market for an older Mustang 1965-1966 coupe or Convertible. I have no idea where to start? I don't want to make a mistake? I'm really just looking for something to drive in the spring summer and fall and garage in the hellish New Hampshire winters...I found this car and was thinking about
going to look at it. www.springmeadow.com
Let me know what you think? Also, where should I start?
I'd like to go to some shows and get to know more are there any up here in New England?

Thanks,
Jim

[email protected]

·
Registered
412 Posts
Looks like a pretty nice car. If you are going to take the plunge, IMO , I would look for a 289 V8, auto, convertible. Do you really want a 3 speed?

Nothing lik droping the top on a balmy afternoon and cruising down the country roads.

Just my opinion.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
uhhhh hmmmm.....Make sure you have someone check it out thoroughly...I see a lot of stuff on that list that indicate major rust/accident repair, and I also see a lot of stuff on the list that is hot air to make the list longer...and a whole of inexpensive fixes....like rebuilt starter instead of just putting a new one for $60-80 bucks. The rear clip being replaced is also a very big deal.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
hmmm, I tend to agree with Dodgestang.
IMO, that`s a lot to pay for an I6 coupe. find a nice south western V8 car and get it shipped. It would probably be worth it.
as far as shows go, check the MCCNE site, I believe they`re having a Mustang National show sometime in July?

·
Registered
810 Posts
If you're planning on doing a ton of driving, you'll probably regret getting the 3 speed manual - you'll get frustrated with the lack of flexability and constant shifting. The I-6 is fun for cruising around, but for close to 7k, you can get a lot more car if you look. A nicely 'restored' I6 coupe should cost somewhere around 5-6 here in the northeast. For 7k, it had better be exceptional!!

For the most satisfying car, look around for a "C" or "A" code coupe (both are 289ci V8's) with either a 3 speed auto (for nicer cruising) or a 4 speed manual. A convertible in good driving and mechanical condition will cost closer to 10k to 15k. ( I have a friend currently looking for a '66 convertible, and can't find anything under 13,500.)

For around 7-9k, you may also be able to find a car that has been "resto-modded" with modern updates like disc brakes, overdrive transmission (auto or manual) and other nice updates.

Whatever you find, have someone check it out thoroughly. An old Mustang can be hellaciously expensive if there are rust repairs to be made!!!!!

Keep asking questions, and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Welcome!

I recommend that you join the Mustang Car Club of New England (MCCNE) even if you haven't already bought a Mustang. MCCNE puts on 5 shows a year in the New England area -

June 8th = Spring Roundup at Mustangs Unlimited in Manchester, CT.
July 17-19 = MCA National Show at Sturbridge, MA (normally this would be the Rodman Ford show in Foxboro, MA
August = Northampton, MA show
September = Summer Power show, Mustangs Unlimited
October = Fall show, Yankee Atomic, Bolton, MA

Let us know what kind of Mustang you are looking to buy and how much you want to spend. I'm sure we can help locate one or offer advice on anything you are considering.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Jim

Before you buy, do some research. MCCNE is OK, there is also a club here in NH. Big show every year on Father's Day on the front lawn of the Tech College on Amherst St/Rt 101A in Nashua. Best thing for ya is to come to the show, have a look at the many different years and styles of Mustangs, and ask lots of questions. Ask anyone from the club, or anyone wiping a car down, and they'll be happy to talk your ear off on the subject. If you don't want to wait that long, take a ride up 102 to Londonderry any Saturday night starting 5/17 to the club-sponsored cruise night, always few Mustangs there too.

For more info on the club, email Rick Lacourse at [email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts