Vintage Mustang Forums banner
41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
No way. I’ve done more work in the last twenty days than I have in the last 20 years. Going to start reassembling the louvers tomorrow. First I have to put a hitch on the GTI for a bike rack, then it’s louver city baby!

Reactions: Turnall

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Some of my gaps. I tried messing around with the hood and one fender. That’s one slippery slope! If it was unpainted I’d get all Chip Foose with it, but since I’m playing catch up I’ll fix what I can and live with the rest. Pretty sure I can’t see any of this from behind the wheel.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
7,504 Posts
Post some pics of your door gaps showing the full length. Also some pics showing the entire length of the hood to fender gaps. I think your hood can move a little closer forward and it looks a bit **** eyed as far as fender gaps. Not trying to be a douche, just tryin to help a brother out. When it comes to aligning the fender extension you can play with movement on the 4 retainer clips. They usually fit pretty snuggly best to move them in the direction you want first then put the screws in. Try placing the extensions on and placing it where you want it, then take notice where the retainers are located in the fastener holes. That will give you a better idea where best to try to locate them. But first concentrate on the fender to hood edges. When adjusting the hood what works best for me is if you have to tweak it a bit, just loosen the bolts just enough so that you can move the hood around but tight enough so that you can slowly raise it without moving it while you snug them back down.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Post some pics of your door gaps showing the full length. Also some pics showing the entire length of the hood to fender gaps. I think your hood can move a little closer forward and it looks a bit **** eyed as far as fender gaps. Not trying to be a douche, just tryin to help a brother out. When it comes to aligning the fender extension you can play with movement on the 4 retainer clips. They usually fit pretty snuggly best to move them in the direction you want first then put the screws in. Try placing the extensions on and placing it where you want it, then take notice where the retainers are located in the fastener holes. That will give you a better idea where best to try to locate them. But first concentrate on the fender to hood edges. When adjusting the hood what works best for me is if you have to tweak it a bit, just loosen the bolts just enough so that you can move the hood around but tight enough so that you can slowly raise it without moving it while you snug them back down.
I agree, I can maneuver it and get it better. I think the driver's side hood/fender gap is a little tighter than the passenger side. I'll show you the door gaps tomorrow if I get back out there. They were pretty good front and back if I recall, so not sure how much I could move the fender back. I know I can get the hood/headlight bucket good on the driver's side, but if I move it enough to get the passenger's side, it makes too much gap at the cowl. It's a balance act for sure. I think my fender/cowl needs to be tightened up on the passenger side, but I loosened all the bolts and had to pretty much ram my shoulder into it to get it to move......a little. I'll try to roll it out into the light and get some good pics in the next day or so and let the suggestions begin. I would have obsessed over this thing if I was the one doing the body work, but I may be left with "it is what it is".

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Not sure why a few of us don't throw a couple of dollars in a business together and start doing these cars...

Allen
If I had any dollars left after throwing them at this one I might.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Been wrestling with the louvers. Didn’t like my bare metal screens and didn’t want them black, so I tried a dark gray. Not bad, but one set of chrome inserts has patchy dark gray/black inner paint. I tried a flat black and it’s just too dark. I need to find a darker gray to try. After taping these things off I was getting punchy, so I stopped for the day. Unfortunately not before I nicked a louver and scratched the paint. What a pain these things are.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Picked up another color for the louver insides while I was picking up some 3M strip caulk (thanks, Bart). I like this color much better than the black and it plays well with the dark grey screens. This baby ain’t gonna win any shows but I’m happy with it so far.
Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory Wood Rectangle Gas
Table Wood Fluid Barware Cylinder

Reactions: Turnall

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Invite me, I'll settle for 2nd. Don't invite Patrick, too many burgundy Mustangs.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Two questions.

1. On my door window "frames" (see below example pic), I have some surface rust and am going to sand and paint them. What paint would be best for these?

2. I have only one of the two long block off plates (see example pics below). I'm going to get some metal and bend one up myself. I have already made a template to use. Does anyone know what guage this is right off hand?

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Went ahead and put the passenger side louver in. 3M rope caulk around edge. Louvers are pretty complex little pieces, but they sure do look good.
Car Automotive lighting Hood Grille Motor vehicle
Grille Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

·
Premium Member
6,936 Posts
Two questions.

1. On my door window "frames" (see below example pic), I have some surface rust and am going to sand and paint them. What paint would be best for these?

2. I have only one of the two long block off plates (see example pics below). I'm going to get some metal and bend one up myself. I have already made a template to use. Does anyone know what guage this is right off hand?

View attachment 791668 View attachment 791669
1. I like to use the high temp engine spray cans.

2. Do not know. Do you have a micrometer?

Allen

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
No micrometer, just a small slide caliper. I'll see if I can get a reading with it and if nothing else, I'll carry one of the block off plates with me for comparison. I've already scrounged around here seeing if I had something similar gauge, but no luck. Guess I'll be going to Lowes or somewhere.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Sorry I have missed your thread. Good to see you are making some progress. Keep the momentum going. 👍🏻
Purple power brother, know'm sayin? I try to do a little now and then, between putting a roof and some fascia and rake trim on our mountain place and all the other "retirement" projects. Bart set me straight on the 3M rope caulk for the louver assembly, so I got this one squared away and soon as I bend me another block off plate, I'll get the other one on. These louvers are some complicated little pieces of artwork. They aren't perfect, but man do they ever make the car.

Reactions: patrickstapler

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Harbor Freight sells a digital micrometer for $11.00 and a analog one for $2. Is your engine already built (sorry don't remember and too lazy to look back)? If not, you're going to need one anyway...

Allen
I may pick one up, just to have for future stuff. My engine is the 5.0 unicorn, to refresh your memory. I bought it 20 years ago from a QA inspector at the Ford Cleveland plant. It's off the assembly line, intended for a 1998 Explorer, but never installed. So, basically it's a 23 year old "new" motor. Intention is stock bottom end, RPM intake, Summit 500 cfm carb, shorty headers and either the little Lunati Voodoo cam, a TFS1 or something similar. Mild with punchy low and midrange. It's sole purpose will be to be driven, a LOT. I hope to make Kelly's Jane look like a trailer queen......

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
7,504 Posts
I may pick one up, just to have for future stuff. My engine is the 5.0 unicorn, to refresh your memory. I bought it 20 years ago from a QA inspector at the Ford Cleveland plant. It's off the assembly line, intended for a 1998 Explorer, but never installed. So, basically it's a 23 year old "new" motor. Intention is stock bottom end, RPM intake, Summit 500 cfm carb, shorty headers and either the little Lunati Voodoo cam, a TFS1 or something similar. Mild with punchy low and midrange. It's sole purpose will be to be driven, a LOT. I hope to make Kelly's Jane look like a trailer queen......
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

41 - 60 of 81 Posts