Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is looking at a set of supposed "hi-po" heads. The seller says the casting number is C5OE and the date code is 5L5. Are these correct for the high performance heads?

Gene Zierdt
'65 Conv.
302/roller cam/valves/ported
T-5 w/3.55
negative roll, progressive front, 4 1/2 rear springs
Front & rear anti-sway bars

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My book says the 66-68 engine w/6-bolt bellhousing Part#is C50Z-6010C. The heads shoud have C50Z-6049-A.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Take a look at this for a general idea of how to identify a HP 289. Upon viewing a closeup of the top of the head, you can see the screw in studs and cast in spring cups(as well as the HP designation) which designates the head as factory HP 289....

Although it is not clear that the HP designation was on every head, all had the spring cups and studs....

Good luck...

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
The heads will also have a slotted push rod hole in the head instead of a round one. You can see that on the photo link in camachinist's reply.

66 2+2 289/271 63B since may 1972. At that time just a used car for only $900.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Yes, the slotted pushrod hole is in the HP heads but also in early (pre-67 IIRC) standard 289 heads....the ones on my D-coder and some C3 castings I have in the shop have the slotted holes...

So that fact can be indicative but not determinative....definitely, if they have round pushrod holes, they are not HP...

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From Bob Mannel's book, here it goes:
C5OE-A for casting number on head itself, he notes the head was introduced in late 1964 model year, or about May 1964.He shows it being used through 1967.(*Note he shows no other C5OE heads being used for a 289/260 besides a HIPO head.-my observation from his book). The date code of 5L5 looks like November 5, 1965, these then would have been 66 model year heads.

1967 S code GT Deluxe Coupe 65B
1966 Convertible 76B 289 4 speed
1964 Fairlane 500 2DR HT-the new project
1986 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 the "beater"
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1573428&a=11959254&p=43023698.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gene,

I am probably the seller of these heads. It is a good idea to ask around, especially for parts like these. All I have to add to this is that these heads have the cast in spring perch cups, screw in studs and the slotted push rod holes. The indeed have the C5OE casting and the date code of 5L5 (December 5th, 1965 BTW), which would make them appropriate for a '66 car. Other stampings on the heads include the number "19" on one of the accessory bosses as well as markings of "4V", "65" and "289". They do not have the "HP" markings, but it is my understanding that not all hipo heads had this marking. At the same time, the hipo heads were the only heads with cast in spring perches and screw in studs.

These heads are complete with valves and springs. They need valve work and they have been repaired once before I bought them. I have no idea how this happened, but one of the intake bolt bosses that is not cast in the intake deck broke. The owner before me had it welded and retapped. It is a very professional job and can not be seen once the intake is on. I ran it like this for over 10 years w/o any problems at all.

While I am new to this forum, I have contributed heavily for quite a few years to the Fordnatics mailing list and I have sold and bought several things to/from members on that list. I recommend that you extend your search to this list as well for more checkup if it will make you and your friend feel better. I know that I would be doing the same thing if I was in your shoes, so this does not offend me one bit. In fact when it comes time to purchase some of the high dollar items for my new motor, I am sure I will be doing the same thing.

Hope to talk to you and your friend soon.

Michael Bradburn
[email protected]

'91 Mustang LX 5.0 Conv.
'67 Mustang 377
"She got 5 speed, 4.11's, 10.13 in a quarter mile,
trick gas, full blown nitrous, speed queen
with a smile" - Sammy Hagar

1 - 7 of 7 Posts