Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 66 GT Fastback that I am planning on stripping down to a shell and restoring.The firewall insulation mat is in pieces and I was wondering if the reproductions are exact copies of originals and would be correct?I heard horror stories about the older repos.Also I was curious if the Trunk tote bags,tool bags,etc.Were available options or were they dealer add ons? Did they have a logo on them or were they just the plaid material to match the trunk mat?Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
it has been my experience that none of the reproductions of the firewall pad are absolutely correct. they can be made to work ok but you will need to use the original style retainers. the tote bags, tool bags and spare tire covers are not original. they are all aftermarket creations but would receive points off in concours judging. all i have seen are just plain material, no logos.

·
Administrator
19,505 Posts
Don't buy the cheap versions of the firewall pad. The more expensive ones are pretty close to correct. As the other poster said, the tire cover, etc., are all aftermarket items.

·
Administrator
19,505 Posts
I bought the one from NPD, it's advertised as concours correct and it seems to be pretty much as it's molded. It's a little more than $100, whereas the cheaper version is less than $50. I know of people here who tried the cheaper one and it didn't work. They had to get the better one in the end.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
Ford sold a Highway Emergency Kit shown in the Ford Accessory catalog. Hard to find but occasionally popup on Ebay. The ones for a 67 go for at least $300.00, with a not-so-perfect box.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts