Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using one of these hidden antennas?
Autoloc antenna

It states it is for FM, I have the factory AM radio in my car and just want to hook up an antenna to get sound from it. There is no antenna at the moment since they painted the car without drilling the hole in the new fender and I do not want to drill the hole.

Anyway, would this work with AM and anyone using one?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I bought one, it gets zero reception! I live across the street from a radio station (FM and AM) and I cant even tune that in.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I have one that looks like that. I got mine from ebay and it's a amplified one. It works great. I have it mounted up infront of the rear view mirror. My windshield has the blue hue on the top so you can't even see it from the outside. I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just go with the normal antennae, I was going to get one of those hidden ones because I figured replacing the missing one in my car would be a pain but someone bought me a replacement antenna for Christmas.

I went out to my car yesterday knowing nearly nothing about car radios and installed it in less than 15 mins, you don't have to remove the fenders or anything. Also the replacements only run $20-30

EDIT: sorry I missed the part were you said there was no hole for it.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
These cars were normally shipped to the dealer with the antenna not mounted...
no hole in the fender. A mechanic at the dealer would mark the fender and cut out the
hole for the antenna.
If you want to do a clean proffesional job get the template, mark the hole center
and cut the hole. If you spend about $25 for a Greenlee sheet metal punch you drill
the pilot hole and use a wrench on the punch. I did that on my '68 and the mounting
hole came out slick and burr free!

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Got one from Advance Auto ($25 I believe). It's also an amplified one that tapes to the inside lower part of the windshield. Works fine. Everyone that has seen it liked it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
slim said:
These cars were normally shipped to the dealer with the antenna not mounted...
no hole in the fender. A mechanic at the dealer would mark the fender and cut out the
hole for the antenna.
If you want to do a clean proffesional job get the template, mark the hole center
and cut the hole. If you spend about $25 for a Greenlee sheet metal punch you drill
the pilot hole and use a wrench on the punch. I did that on my '68 and the mounting
hole came out slick and burr free!
The guy I bought the car from has the spot marked. I also have a brand new antenna. Just too big a sissy to drill in my nice fender. What do you mean by "use a wrench on the punch"?

Is a greenlee sheet metal punch self centering?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
i shaved my antenna hole out and made a bracket out of an old antenna mount i had and attached the antenna to the frame of the rear apron. It gets great reception and i am using the entire mustang as a big antenna.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got one from Radio Shack in 2000 (not Amplified), it's taped to the inside bottom of the window out of site, no complaints. :thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts