Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Convertible
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's be clear it will be a long time before I ever get to try this out but it might work for someone in the meantime.

I've been wondering how to add CarPlay to the old Mustang. There are motorized screens but I believe they hit the dash. You can put them in the console but it may limit the size of the screen.

Some people have used tablets but that also limits you to Android (to the best of my knowledge).

What about a remote screen? I looked around and this is the only decent one I found.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130DMC5500/Pioneer-DMH-C5500NEX.html?tp=9581
NOT ME, some dude at Crutchfield...

It's relatively huge screen at 8 inches (they also make a smaller screen version) but where to put it? To keep the dash clean I thought about putting the screen on a hinged mechanism that could either be manual or motorized and fold from the bottom of the dash below the radio. This is all hypothetical so bear with me.

The screen is less than an inch deep. The included cable is 12in but you can apparently get longer ones. The "head" unit can be mounted anywhere, in any orientation.

Of course it won't work with a console. Heck, it might not work at all. But I'm digging the idea. People will think you just have the original radio (maybe make the original dial power the screen lowering!) but you'll have full navigation, etc.

You could also cut a slot in the dash below the radio (cutting up a dash isn't ideal) and have it slide down.

I can't wait for the feedback. :smile2:

·
Dimples
5,563 Posts
That's a pretty cool solution.

I wanted something similar, but opted for simplicity. Hidden bluetooth module/amplifier and a hard drive magnet behind the dash and a small metal strip stuck to my phone case. Works great.

Looks clean when it's in my pocket.

I usually use the screen for a GPS Speedometer app, but it's easy to switch back to Spotify. I usually just control that on my Apple watch when driving though.

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,416 Posts
IMHO that big screen in a classic Mustang just does not look right, it looks out of place. For my 69 Coupe I found a AM/FM stereo out of a 1980 TB that looks almost period correct & had it converted to accept my MP-3 player. I have the MP-3 player connection in the glove box so it looks like I just have the AM/FM radio. I have a switch where the conv top switch would go to switch on & off the MP-3 player option.

Attachments

·
Registered
1967 Convertible
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IMHO that big screen in a classic Mustang just does not look right, it looks out of place. For my 69 Coupe I found a AM/FM stereo out of a 1980 TB that looks almost period correct & had it converted to accept my MP-3 player. I have the MP-3 player connection in the glove box so it looks like I just have the AM/FM radio. I have a switch where the conv top switch would go to switch on & off the MP-3 player option.
Which is why when you fold it out of the way it looks stock.

I'll be the first to admit I'm addicted to technology. And old stuff too. It's a dichotomy.

·
Premium Member
5,619 Posts
At least you're thinking... the fold down could be done in other areas as well. I'm a classic look kind of guy but I have a Pertronix, some LED lamps, and some hidden speakers. Adding technology in a tasteful way will help us attract a new generation of Mustangers to keep the Old Iron rolling.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Just happened to watch this episode today on the idiot box, Pure Vision - Steve Strope - 57 Ford Wagon build. Fast forward to approximately 9:00 minute mark in the video.

Thought it was a pretty cool idea to install it where he did - maybe you could do the same in your Mustang?

John

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Just happened to watch this episode today on the idiot box, Pure Vision - Steve Strope - 57 Ford Wagon build. Fast forward to approximately 9:00 minute mark in the video.

Thought it was a pretty cool idea to install it where he did - maybe you could do the same in your Mustang?

John
**SPOILER ALERT**

Before I watched the video, I said to myself that the defroster/speaker vent would be a great place for a screen to pop up.

Allen

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I installed a Blue-tooth amp in my trailer, so I can use anything with a Blue-tooth transmitter to be the head unit. I have a small BT MP3 player, or my phone, or my tablet that I can use to connect with it. A friend recently purchased a nice Blue-tooth portable speaker that he just drops in the back seat and uses his phone as the source. No wiring issues and simply remove the speaker when you want to go to a show.

Just remember, some states/counties have passed laws that make it illegal to even touch your phone while driving.

·
Registered
1967 Convertible
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I installed a Blue-tooth amp in my trailer, so I can use anything with a Blue-tooth transmitter to be the head unit. I have a small BT MP3 player, or my phone, or my tablet that I can use to connect with it. A friend recently purchased a nice Blue-tooth portable speaker that he just drops in the back seat and uses his phone as the source. No wiring issues and simply remove the speaker when you want to go to a show.

Just remember, some states/counties have passed laws that make it illegal to even touch your phone while driving.
They haven’t made it illegal to touch the radio yet. Although the voice controls are getting better.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I like it. I just wonder about how sturdy it'll be when you push on it and how easy it'll be to use stretching over from the driver's seat.

What would be really cool is if you could find an 8"x2" touchscreen to mount into the radio bezel. It could look like a flat blanking plate while it's off and full high-tech touchscreen when it's on. It's a pretty odd size though so that might be a problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts