Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Hidden Wiring in Engine Bay - wire routes & item locations

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  289vert 
#1 ·
Doing my wiring now and I don't have my engine in the car. Trying to visualize how to run my wires so I can get them at least close to their final destination.

I know a bunch of you have done great jobs running your wires behind the inner fenders or through the center of the firewall. Did a search and pictures aren't showing up in a lot of the old posts.

I'm using the American Autowire classic update harness.

Couple of questions:

Where'd you mount your starter relay/soleniod and get wires to it? I welded up the stock holes. Don't think I have room in the inner fender below the battery tray because my AC hoses pass through there. I could use the vintage style or even one off a foxbody if that's more suitable for the EFI system I'll be using. Don't think it matters though. Also need to get from that relay to the starter & alternator. Thoughts?

Where you mount the coil? I'm thinking low on driver side either on the front face of the shock tower or maybe on the inner fender in front of the shock tower. I'll be running EFI, so won't be using a vintage looking coil.

I'll need to route my EFI harness through the firewall and can also put the wires for the distributor, temp & oil pressure sensors in that bundle. I guess I could also pass the wires for AC Compressor in that bundle too.

Tips & pics would be appreciated.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips. I have a PMGR starter, so I'll look at the Bosch starter relay. Pretty sure that's the same type used on the fox body mustangs ( and that I'm using in my FFR Cobra ).

I like how you used the fender bolts to hold the wiring loom. I'm using nylon woven split loom, so that should protect the wires. I agree it will complicate getting to the wires (and I don't want to jinx myself), but I don't think I should need to get in there after the car is built. Already putting in all the wiring for electric fans and don't foresee needing to add other electrical accessories when it's done. At least I have a lift, so once the wheel is off, I should have decent access without having to crawl on the ground.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.