Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone tell me the exact date the 1966 hcs were delivered or rolled off the assembly line. also would all 333 have the same production date. i heard dealers could get some early. is this true? thanks!

·
Registered
485 Posts
An interesting question. The San Jose build date for the honest-to-god-dyed-in-the-wool '66 HCSs was 15G - July 15, 1966. So if you have one of the three colors, a blank color code, fender badges, an extended DSO 51xxxx, a San Jose plant code, and a 15G build date, you probably have a '66 HCS.

This is all folklore on HCSs that Bob Teets has unearthed. Unfortunately, there is nothing from Ford left on the '66 cars. The information comes from advertisements of the time. At least one of those ads says there were 350 cars, not 333. And the badges were put on by the dealers, not by the factory.

From time to time a car appears that does not fit the folklore. A couple of days ago an Aspen Gold '66 Mustang with what sure appear to be orginal fender badges sold on ebay. It was a San Jose car and was sold in Denver on July 26, 1966, but the build date was too early to fit the folklore. You can never prove this was an HCS, so the car was sold as a V8 mustang with an interesting story. Is it an HCS? No one will ever know. It looks like one, but could just be a special paint car in one of the three colors that the dealer added badges to. Unfortunately, that's all the real HCSs were too!

There is also a guy in Denver with a Dearborn car with a 22G build date - 1 week after the San Jose cars were built. It is Timberline Green and had badges. Again, it could just be a special paint car in one of the three colors that the dealer added badges to. I found the granddaughter of the original dealer to see if any dealership records still existed, but no joy.

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts