Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the water pump on my 66 289. Currently has a cast iron pump, can I use an aluminum one to shed some weight? Also should I get a standard flow or high flow? I have PS and AC and my rad is a 3 core chinese variant. Current pump kept the car temp within range. Never had an issue. But From th epics below, you can see its looking pretty tired. Ive seen people recommend Milodon. Also see GMB and Tough Stuff on Summit's website

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the info on Flowkooler water pumps. Their site is impressive and the prices are surprisingly low. Interesting they sell a higher flow thermostat as well. I would like to hear if these higher flow water pumps helped your temps. Even more so the during idling temps. If I have ever encountered higher range temps at idle, I have always increased the idle speed as a pre-caution. Makes sense to increase the flow, in spite of your electric fan already at high speed.

·
Premium Member
6,084 Posts
NPD now has a kit to rebuild some of the old pumps. All of my cars have OE Ford pumps with no trouble. I've seen that new stuff with broken snouts in a couple of recent VMF threads. I don't trust it.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NPD now has a kit to rebuild some of the old pumps. All of my cars have OE Ford pumps with no trouble. I've seen that new stuff with broken snouts in a couple of recent VMF threads. I don't trust it.
I don't have an OE pump, so for about the same cost as the kit, I can get a new one.

·
Premium Member
13,214 Posts
Thanks for the info on Flowkooler water pumps. Their site is impressive and the prices are surprisingly low. Interesting they sell a higher flow thermostat as well.
You may want to do a little reading up on Flowkooler pumps. IIRC, Kelly_H had a couple of them that were DOA straight out of the box.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You may want to do a little reading up on Flowkooler pumps. IIRC, Kelly_H had a couple of them that were DOA straight out of the box.
Some of the reviews from Summit on many of the pumps have an occasional DOA review. Also I read some good reviews in here on them. Must have missed the bad ones!

My favorite is the Milodon 16230 (16229 for the early pump with no backing plate).

I've seen you comment on them. I almost pulled the trigger. My only concern is the specs say its a 5.5" pump lenght and my current on is slightly longer than that. The Flowkooler was spot on in sizing so I went with one of that one. Am I over thinking this? Also whats you thought on low flow vs high flow. I've read that high flow can push the coolant too quickly thru the radiator and not let enough heat exchange. Also do I need a high flow thermostat?

On a side note, it seems that the core bodies are from the same manufacture, GMB, and companies like Milodon and Flowkooler put their own impeller in it, so does it just boil down to who you've had good luck with?

·
Registered
37,687 Posts
Some of the reviews from Summit on many of the pumps have an occasional DOA review. Also I read some good reviews in here on them. Must have missed the bad ones!

I've seen you comment on them. I almost pulled the trigger. My only concern is the specs say its a 5.5" pump lenght and my current on is slightly longer than that. The Flowkooler was spot on in sizing so I went with one of that one. Am I over thinking this? Also whats you thought on low flow vs high flow. I've read that high flow can push the coolant too quickly thru the radiator and not let enough heat exchange. Also do I need a high flow thermostat?

On a side note, it seems that the core bodies are from the same manufacture, GMB, and companies like Milodon and Flowkooler put their own impeller in it, so does it just boil down to who you've had good luck with?
No, you can't pass coolant "too fast" through a radiator. In a closed system there is ALWAYS a radiator full of coolant in constant contact with the tubes and fins. There are also restrictions to flow.... look at the size of the inlet in the water pump and compare that with the hole in the thermostat when it's wide open... coolant is only going to go as fast as the smallest opening in the system will allow it. What the "high flow" water pumps DO though, is pump more efficiently at low speeds helping to prevent running hot in traffic.

Do you need a high-flow thermostat? Nope, but you should get a QUALITY thermostat that isn't going to fall apart.

Never ran into a length issue with the right pump for the application that I couldn't fix with a shim or two... or my press. LOL.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, you can't pass coolant "too fast" through a radiator. In a closed system there is ALWAYS a radiator full of coolant in constant contact with the tubes and fins. There are also restrictions to flow.... look at the size of the inlet in the water pump and compare that with the hole in the thermostat when it's wide open... coolant is only going to go as fast as the smallest opening in the system will allow it. What the "high flow" water pumps DO though, is pump more efficiently at low speeds helping to prevent running hot in traffic.

Do you need a high-flow thermostat? Nope, but you should get a QUALITY thermostat that isn't going to fall apart.

Never ran into a length issue with the right pump for the application that I couldn't fix with a shim or two... or my press. LOL.
Thanks for the info Bart! Hope you have a Merry Christmas up there in VT!

Peter

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're welcome. It'll be merrier when the temperature gets back up above 70..... sometime in July...maybe.
You're always welcome down here in the People Republic of MA anytime. We hit 50 today!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts