Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20,074 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Today I worked on my car, it is very surprising to see how sometimes simple solutions led to big results, as I told earlier on that I have an mas-flo injection system on my car also my fuel consumption is 10.7 miles per gallon, now today I just found out that the end of my shorty headers where it attaches to the exhaust had loose bolts, I tighten them up one by one, fill the tank and made a total of 64 miles trip in the highway my average cruising speed was around 65 miles then I fill the tank again at the end of the trip suddenly my milage was 18.6 miles per gallon which is good I suppose, so I believe the sensors had a bad reading due to the loose bolts at the end of the headers, but this milage is on the high way I will try it in the city in the traffic do you guys think this milage is good in the highway ?

Well that's about a 80% increase in fuel economy just by tightening 3 bolts. I'd say that's pretty impressive. I have a 2014 F150 crew cab (4 door) with a 5.0 V8. I think 64 miles is not really enough. Since my truck is on the heavy side so it's interesting watching the average fuel economy setting. It varies wildly and quickly. I can go from 26 mpg to 14 mpg average very quickly

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well that's about a 80% increase in fuel economy just by tightening 3 bolts. I'd say that's pretty impressive. I have a 2014 F150 crew cab (4 door) with a 5.0 V8. I think 64 miles is not really enough. Since my truck is on the heavy side so it's interesting watching the average fuel economy setting. It varies wildly and quickly. I can go from 26 mpg to 14 mpg average very quickly
Well it is as you described, but as you said with these cars and engines the power distribution and gas milage can change at an instant. once you decide to kick down then there is no need for further calculate :)

·
Registered
20,074 Posts
Well it is as you described, but as you said with these cars and engines the power distribution and gas milage can change at an instant. once you decide to kick down then there is no need for further calculate :)
That’s a interesting comment. I notice the sooner you can get into high gear and stay there, the better. Even if it means driving at a higher speed just to stay in high gear. I use to think throttle position was more important. I realize there are pumping losses just from spinning at higher rpm but with the throttle not as much open vs lugging and WOT would offset that. Apparently not.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts