Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have spent the last month trying to install a tremec in my 73 mustang. I finished yesterday started up my engine, put it in gear and sat there. ::

Well I suspected that I had managed to damage the clutch during my install so I fought off the urge to just let someone else do it like my roommate said in his famous "Do It Right The First Time" speech, and I got under my car and pulled the tremec. I discovered that my suspicions were correct. I had totally destroyed the clutch disc. The gear in the disk was shattered. Why did it shatter you may ask. Well its simple I did something stupid. Well a few stupid things.

By the way is it possible to get your girlfriend into working on cars?

Anyway First I lost the instructions that came with the clutch then I assured myself I had gotten all the right parts without double-checking.

The gear in the clutch disk was crushed by the input shaft in the tranny because it was for a different tremec transmission and has like a 26 tooth gear. The Tremec 3550 has 10, Amazing!!

Well I got the new clutch in and the tranny went right in with only a little cussing. Now I just have to hope I survive until tomorrow so I can finish the job.

I was supposed to go out to dinner with my girlfriend tonight not work on my car again. Opps.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I'm amazed that you were able to get the input shaft through the old disk. It is a major pain when your laying under a car trying to get the trans to slide in... I'm sure the new one will work. Are you useing a cable or Z bar setup for clutch actuation?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts