Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
66 coupe. 302. I’m hearing a high pitched whine from my engine compartment. If the normal engine sound is a baritone, this pitch would be on the scale of an alto.

Details.

It occurs when I first start the car and the choke is engaged so the car is at higher RPMs. Then it goes away and it typically occurs when I accelerate aggressively. I can be cruising at 60 mph at 1500 RPMs then downshift to 3rd(AOD) and the whine shows up. Normal driving I usually don’t hear it.

I hear it from the passenger side of the car when I‘m driving. The sound increases at the same rate as the engine RPMs.

I took it to my mechanic who does all my work and actually installed the engine 1.5 years ago. He just blew it off saying it might be a fan belt. I’m not sure he is correct.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

Allen

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a serpentine belt that has been tightened with being able to push it down 3/4 inch between the alternator and the AC compressor (the longest section of belt). Should it be tightened more?

Allen

·
Premium Member
6,095 Posts
Air whistle in the pcv or a vacuum hose loose?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How can I attach a video so you can hear the whine?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checked the engine. Hose to PCV valve was loose. Vacuum hose connection on car was loose. Tightened both. Adjusted serpentine belt to 1/2” of displacement. We will see how it sounds tomorrow.

Allen

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still whines today. I’ll take it to another mechanic. Any references for a mechanic in the Seattle area? I live in Woodinville so would like one within a reasonable distance.

Allen

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
1,106 Posts
Have you pulled the belt off and just spin each accessory pulley? Sometime you can hear a bad bearing going out on the alternator, water pump, etc?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How about Bel Kirk Mustang
I’ve had mixed results with them. It’s been a few years since I’ve used them. The mechanics are new. Have you used them recently?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you pulled the belt off and just spin each accessory pulley? Sometime you can hear a bad bearing going out on the alternator, water pump, etc?
I haven’t done that. It’s raining right now so a good time to work in the garage. I’ll try that.

Thank you

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Never have used them. i do my own work at home. If you ever need body work or paint let me know. My wife does restoration work.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I removed the serpentine belt and spun the water pump, AC compressor and alternator. Compressor, alternator were quiet, The water pump had a friction sound with spinning in. Kinda of like a door with hinges that need lubrication. Culprit? I’m assuming it should spin quietly as the others.

If I need to replace the water pump, is a high flow pump better than standard?

Thank you

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,354 Posts
So I removed the serpentine belt and spun the water pump, AC compressor and alternator. Compressor, alternator were quiet, The water pump had a friction sound with spinning in. Kinda of like a door with hinges that need lubrication. Culprit? I’m assuming it should spin quietly as the others.

If I need to replace the water pump, is a high flow pump better than standard?

Thank you
I don't know how a high flow water pump would cool any better. The coolant that just passed through a hot engine needs time to cool off in the radiator before going back into the engine.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does my description of the friction noise heard with rotation of the water pump indicate that likely it is at fault?

Allen

·
Registered
200 Posts
Still whines today. I’ll take it to another mechanic. Any references for a mechanic in the Seattle area? I live in Woodinville so would like one within a reasonable distance.

Allen
Try Bel-Red mustang, I take my car to Blood Enterprise, but they're located in Auburn where I live.
Another place you could try is Mainly Muscle Cars. They will be able to at least provide you a name/business to contact. And lastly, just do a search for classic mustang repair in Google. We have a lot in our areas.
Good luck👍😎

1 - 20 of 34 Posts