Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just killed my fourth speedo cable on my 4 speed toploader in my 1967 Convertible with '95 5.0L with Tri-Y headers.

I've ordered cables from CJ Pony (all of the ones they offer) as well as Rock Auto (which was the crappiest spare part I've ever received.) They either didn't fit, or died a premature death.

So... Does anyone have advice on a high quality replacement speedo cable?

Thanks,

Drew

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Are you routing them properly? I killed a couple of speedo cables for my Toploader in my 65 until I figured out, through VMF, that I had too sharp of a bend coming out of the transmission. Once I opened that up a bit, no more problem. I've got a few thousand on my current setup with no issues.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I recently reran mine, had it going through the original hole in the firewall for auto trans. put in a new hole at the tunnel. I was pretty impressed with the cable I got from NPD

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll check NPD.

I do know that there are many more options for '65-66 models than there are for 67-68.

Drew

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
Not only would I get a good quality cable assembly... really, I'd go with the $10 cable (Pioneer) from rockauto, etc. but pull the inner cable and liberally douse it with graphite lube, then stick it back in. Keep it away from any sharp bends or high heat. There are also tin cable ends to keep the tip from fraying and help snug things up between the cable and a worn adapter.

·
Registered
10,059 Posts
I just killed my fourth speedo cable on my 4 speed toploader in my 1967 Convertible with '95 5.0L with Tri-Y headers.

I've ordered cables from CJ Pony (all of the ones they offer) as well as Rock Auto (which was the crappiest spare part I've ever received.) They either didn't fit, or died a premature death.

So... Does anyone have advice on a high quality replacement speedo cable?

Thanks,

Drew
Yours is pretty much a stock or close to stock situation I would think. Funky angles tend to kill speedo cables.
If you don't have routing which entails funky angles or bends, have the cable core made locally at a speedo shop.
If you do have angularity or bends, you may want to try a straight ratio 90-degree adapter at the trans.....

I have a Gear Vendors in a '68 and have one at the far end designed for fit that device. Without it the cable would
last me maybe 200 miles.

·
Registered
36,468 Posts
Hmmm… The 67 4-speed cable should be held in a cable clip directly above the bellhousing, then routes down to the RH side of the crossmember, and clips there, too. Don't be afraid to add another clamp in between those to clear your aftermarket exhaust.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I thought I paid more but that looks like the only one they have for '66 4 spd, certainly looks like it with that insulator boot

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally got around to pulling the old one; the driven gear was stripped, but not dramatically so. So I ordered a driven gear as well from NPD. When I unpacked the NPD cable, I noticed it was coiled in a certain way, and when I inserted it, it naturally snaked around the bell housing. I really like the gentility of the curves, and think that might help.

I haven't driven the car, yet, since Tennessee has been wet for the last few weeks every single friggin' day, plus my Land Cruiser was down for a week waiting for a new starter, and blocked my access to the convertible.

BTW, the NPD website claims you need to order an oil seal with the cable; that is not true. The NPD cable comes with oil seal already installed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts