Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, my 65 is NOT overheating but....

It currently has a repro copper and brass 3 core generic radiator from John's Mustang. It looks the part, fits well and mostly works. Engine has a 7 blade fan on a thermostatic clutch which seems to be working although it does not roar like the one on my truck or motorhome when they get hot. Engine is outfitted with a flowcooler water pump and a 180deg balanced MrGasket thermostat.

I drive this car. I sit in traffic jams in Houston on 104deg days with the AC on.

It has never boiled over on me but it does get the gauge over to the P in TEMP on the gauge. Hotter than I would like and not much room for error.

If I was to splurge a bit and go for a different radiator, is there a unit out there with SIGNIFICANTLY more cooling capacity than the 3 core I have now? IE a truly high density fin count aluminum unit or some such? Are the aluminum units really all that much better at COOLING or are they mostly just lighter weight? It would need to fit the stock location, I am NOT cutting the core support. If its aluminum I would also paint it black in an attempt to have it look as stock as possible. Looks is important. The car is all original and goes to quite a number of shows, but its NOT a garage queen. Not any more.

I see quite a number of available radiators on the market for 65 Mustangs but very little real data is available for any of them. Fin surface area etc would be nice to know to tell them apart. Not afraid of spending a few bucks but more money does not always get more product. I have seen the same aluminum radiator on several sites for pricing anywhere from 230 to 400....

·
Registered
507 Posts
Before you do that. I would get a mechanical temp gauge on there first, to get a TRUE temp reading. Then go from there. Could be the gauge or the sending unit.
There is always a four core radiator for cheap. A cheap aluminum would have you mount our own. The more expensive ones already have the mounting brackets( i.e. drop in, mounts same position as original)
You should just have to paint the top tank, as the A/C unit, covers pretty much all the front of the radiator.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I would agree with that since the older gauges just aren't the accurate. Which on another note me personally if you are still looking to get another radiator I would go with a 2 core that is 1" cores. I put it in my 66 mustang w/ an electric fan and never had problems with it over cooling or anything. Which that was even with the problem that the head gaskets were on backwards from the guy who had the car before me so I'm pretty much sold of griffin 2 core radiators. But that is just my experience. Good luck either way man.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts