Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3M makes a rotory sponge disk that looks like its been dipped in asphalt. I first tried it with a drill and hated it and never used it. I got smart recently and put it on the air angle-grinder. WOW this think will take paint off in no time at all, and i am using it to take the casting texture off aluminum!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Hey shagg, I got something similiar at harbor freight that goes on the angle grinder and its a disc with varying grit like 80 or 120 up to about 180 IIRC, just which ever you need. They came in a 3 pack and man those things will strip a car so fast! Must be careful though cause if you have mucho body filler like I did, it makes short work of that too :: did I mention I hate doing body work and stripping paint... :: I still have to go back and do a little bit of block sanding on the top of the fenders and the roof. I think my poor coupe has been thru a hail storm at one time. I kept getting rerust where I had already epoxy primed so I got mad and just painted the thing! http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=2264950&uid=1196350&members=1
I used the acrylic urethane, but am going to come back this fall and do the block sanding and use a bc/cc...good luck with the shaggmobile... ::

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Isn't Harbor Freight great? A friend left me some abrasive sponge blocks which I find killer in sanding the hard to get at spots. I used to use folded pieces of sand paper and wear out my finger nails plus get ripped up by spot welds with metal flash sticking up.

Regards,

Dean T

1 - 5 of 5 Posts