Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
VMF Ambassador
6,536 Posts
In Ontario Canada exceeding the speed limit by 50 KPH (31 mph) can result in arrest, summons to attend court,
vehicle confiscation for 7 days,
immediate 7 day driver licence suspension with a possible 2 year suspension upon conviction,
10 year suspension on 2nd conviction, minimum fine $2000 up to $10,000,
possibility of 6 months in jail along with the fine.
If that is not enough,massive insurance increase, if you can get it.
There are onlly 2, 400 (4 lane) series roads in Ontario that have a 110 KPH (68 mph) for only a short streach, the rest is 100KPH (62 mph). 2 lane roads are 80KPH (50 MPH).
Welcome to Canuckistan boys!
Man, I tell you, driving up there was something else! When I took Jane up there a couple years back I had to tape a piece of paper to the glovebox with MPH-to-KPH conversions so I knew how fast I was going.

I did indeed notice that the speed limits were very, very low... coming from Texas/the Midwest/Montana it felt like I was crawling!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
The issue I've had with mustangs over the years that don't have an overdrive gear is more the noise level than anything else. In combination with that is the road noise from having the windows rolled down because of not having A/C. I've had several classic mustangs over the years with c4's, toploader's and my current one having a T5 and like the T5 best hands down. The reasoning for this is the combination of what I'm running. The c4 and toploader's in previous cars would be spinning at 3,500 rpm or more at 70mph on the freeway. When you do that and have the windows rolled down during the summertime and don't have A/C, it tends to get loud and hot rather quickly. Now obviously the transmission isn't going to keep the inside of the car cooler but it does lower the rpm down quite a bit, as well as the noise level. With a T5 at 70mph I'm at about 2,000-2,200 rpm. Which if you are on an incline can start to bog down a bit but it's nothing that can't be fixed by downshifting into 4th gear. I will say that having the windows rolled down with a c4 or toploader spinning at 3,500 rpm on the freeway for hours on end gets a bit mind numbing in that you feel "beat up" after you get out of the car or like you've been at a rock concert for hours and with your ears ringing. With a T5, to me at least, it's a much more comfortable ride at higher speeds, with less noise and makes it more enjoyable to take on longer distance cruises. On top of that, it's going to get better fuel economy and not make your engine have to work as hard. Just my 2c of course.
I guess I should appreciate my single exhaust more.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I guess I should appreciate my single exhaust more.
A lot of it is going to depend on your choice of mufflers as well. Something that's louder like a 40 series Flowmaster is going to be a bit annoying after hours of driving at 70mph, especially the drone that they produce. Dual exhaust with a quieter muffler shouldn't be that big of an issue.

·
Registered
693 Posts
A lot of it is going to depend on your choice of mufflers as well. Something that's louder like a 40 series Flowmaster is going to be a bit annoying after hours of driving at 70mph, especially the drone that they produce. Dual exhaust with a quieter muffler shouldn't be that big of an issue.
I used to have Flowmaster original 40s. DROOOOOOOOOOONE!! And I have a T5. At 70-75mph, I’m at 2200 ish RPM, right in the heart of drone. A 2hr drive absolutely beat me down. I guess all to say that overdrive is great as long as your exhaust doesn’t drone at your cruise RPM.

I have Super 50 three chamber muffs now. Vast improvement, and nearly drone free. I can cruise for hours now.

Sent from the interwebs... where else?

·
Registered
1970 Mustang Fastback
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Thanks for all the feeback guys! It looks like I have nothing to worry about. I had an Evo 9 before this which was also pretty loud, but cruised at lower rpms easily. Guess I'm not used to a car screaming down the freeway only going 70mph. Haha.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hello,

New here to the classic muscle car scene. I was wondering what the general cruising speed is for a Ford Toploader.
What RPM is consider safe at x miles per hour when in 4th gear? What speed do you cruise at?
When driving anywhere above 55 mph, the car feels overloaded. I worry about wearing out the engine or transmission.
Any advice would be great, thanks! Learning as I go :)

Transmission Gear Ratio: 2.78 / Rear Axle Ratio: 2.79 / Tire Diameter: 24.17 / Wheels: 14x7
Engine is a 5.7L V8 347 Stroker if it helps.
Your transmission ratio is 1.00 in 4th gear. Go here to use the rpm calculator. Transmission Ratio RPM Calculator | Spicer Parts
Some of these guys have different diameter tires than you do, so take that into consideration when reading the responses.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Man, I tell you, driving up there was something else! When I took Jane up there a couple years back I had to tape a piece of paper to the glovebox with MPH-to-KPH conversions so I knew how fast I was going.

View attachment 749484

I did indeed notice that the speed limits were very, very low... coming from Texas/the Midwest/Montana it felt like I was crawling!
Kelly - this would not be a problem with the newer aftermarket speedometers that have a digital read-out with a KPH option.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello,

New here to the classic muscle car scene. I was wondering what the general cruising speed is for a Ford Toploader.
What RPM is consider safe at x miles per hour when in 4th gear? What speed do you cruise at?
When driving anywhere above 55 mph, the car feels overloaded. I worry about wearing out the engine or transmission.

Transmission Gear Ratio: 2.78 / Rear Axle Ratio: 2.79 / Tire Diameter: 24.17 / Wheels: 14x7

View attachment 749204
Hello,

View attachment 749204
Close to 3000 rpm at 70 with that rear. Should be able to cruise all day at that speed without any stress on anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Problem is, we are all used to driving with silent overdrive geared modern cars. Old machines like our Mustangs ran at 2500-3500 RPM or more, all day going down the interstates. I still remember years ago hearing a 3.89 geared '66 Shelby on the highway at 70 mph and thinking that that old engine was working... Then I remembered it probably had a good couple thousand to go til redline so it was happy there, just nicely getting on the cam. That actually was our "normal" back in the day. And as long as regular maintenance was carried out on those engines, they loved it. We tend to think of 1500 RPM cruising along in 5th or 6th or 7th or however many gears your modern tranny has. But that's what it was like back then, and every once in a while a good Italian tune-up never hurt either!
Right on jf. I drove my 66 Shelby up and down the highway for years at 75-85 mph and never any problems. Got 20/22 mpg in the process. The older cars scare a lot of the younger guys but they were very road worthy and safe. I had a 70 Torino GT that I drove 90-100 all the time

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 289, toploader with 3.55 rear end. 3200 rpm at 70 mph. Could do it all day if I could take the noise. I have long tube headers w/ glass packs. For anything over a 15 minute drive I use ear plugs.

·
Registered
116 Posts
So what happens when we assume? Guy said he was new to old cars. Where did he get his information for his car setup? Is the 2.79 axle ratio off the door tag, and there's actually some 4.11 gears in there from the PO? With no tach you just don't know, he said it sounded strained. Maybe it is.

·
Registered
1970 Mustang Fastback
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
So what happens when we assume? Guy said he was new to old cars. Where did he get his information for his car setup? Is the 2.79 axle ratio off the door tag, and there's actually some 4.11 gears in there from the PO? With no tach you just don't know, he said it sounded strained. Maybe it is.
Yes, I'm new! And to answer your question, I received most of the information about the car from the previous owner, invoices, build list, and vin decoder book. I don't know everything about the car, but hope to learn more as I work on her.

Next weekend I will replace the spark plugs, ignition coil, plug wires, and redo the timing :)

·
Registered
1970 Mustang Fastback
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Also I made an introductory post about the car & myself. Feel free to check it out if you'd like to know more.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts