Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Door hinge rebuild went just fine with new pins and bushings from NPD. Of course the pins are too long but I knew that by reading the forum. No problem to cut and bevel them.

But now I'm not able to hammer these pins in past the knurle. Maybe it takes way more force that I can apply with a hand sledge hammer on a vise, or with a large manual press. Is this gonna need a hydraulic press?

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
You should be able to do it in a big bench vise. You will need to fabricate a bit of a jig to apply the force thru the pin and not bend the arms. I used a bit of circualr hollow tube on the free end and a bit of flat bar cut to length on the inside to hold the inner arms apart, then clamped in a vise and it went in pretty easily. Use the same method on the main hinge of the 68 convertible top frame...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering if the metal would give with all that force. So it's absolutely necessary to put a spacer bar there? Yet another project :) I'm gonna be so happy if I can find a piece of this restoration that just works without some surprise. :)

I'm sure my vice won't provide the force needed, will probably have to use a hydraulic press. The knurles sure don't go past the outer dia of the pin much so I'm surprised it takes so much force.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
i believe i just mounted the hinge in a vise and used a large c clamp to install the pin,however its nice to have an extra set of helping hands doing this.ps-be careful that u have the part not held by the vise positioned correctly-not backwards. wes

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What finally worked was grinding the knurls down from about .020 over the pin dia to .005. Still took several hefty pounds so no possibility of them falling out.

Cheers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts