Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't get much input when I posted the "What's It Worth?" on this, so here it is with the prices based on the limited feedback I received.

Through a stroke of good luck, I recently acquired a HP 289 motor that was in a Jeep in a local wrecking yard. When I disassembled it for inspection, I found that it has some miss-matched date codes on the parts. Here's what I have:

1. Shortblock: C40E 6015-C (5-bolt, 3L21 date) HiPo block, currently .030 over but appears that it could stay there. Has a "C5" HiPo balancer, correct crank and add-on weight BUT appears to have regular 289 connecting rods. Also has a very nice original "C30E" stick flywheel. $2000

2.Heads: C30E HP 289 heads (3J19 date on both) in good condition, Factory chromed valve covers in good driver-quality condition. $1300

3.Intake Manifold: C5AE-M (5A11 date) Factory iron 4V piece with carb spacer, good shape, no rust and nothing broken or stripped. $200

4.Distributor: C50F-E (5AA date) Factory dual point complete and in good condition. $400

5.Misc: Upper and lower single-groove pulleys, alternator brackets, C5AE-D aluminum water pump and a Motorcraft alternator with the HiPo pulley (C5AF 10A352-C) on it. $300

6. I also got a partially complete Toploader that was behind this motor. In order to adapt the trans to the Jeep transfer case, the tail housing and tail shaft were replaced with conversion parts. I got everything in front of the transfer case. All in very good condition and main case has a "K" code VIN stamped on it. $500

Will sell as priced or everything for $4000. Shipping extra.

Scode67FB is online now Report Post

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It seems I can't edit my original post to add the pics, so I'll add them here. Took a few others, but they came out too dark. I'll have to retake them.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, That's why I stated in the original post that this was a collection of miss-matched date codes. I wish I had gotten to the yard a day earlier. When the Jeep was put in the yard, it had a "LeMans" type carburetor on it. That was the only part missing when I got there.
BTW, There doesn't appear to be a way to edit my add, so I have to add another post to say the distributor has been sold.

5R07K178. I think that's all I can post.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Late January 1965 scheduled build (178xxx consecutive unit number) with a November 1963 engine block casting date is interesting... 14 month spread. Maybe the factory was clearing out inventory of 5-bolt blocks before the changeover to 6-bolt?
The VIN is for San Jose Plant... They built falcons there prior to Mustangs, it is believable that they had some old inventory left when ramping up 65 Mustang production. The block was built 12 1/2 months prior to scheduled production... as you said, they appear of been cleaning house

1 - 9 of 9 Posts