Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished reading the article on headers in Mustngs and Fords. They say all of the factory cast iron manifolds are junk and do not flow well. This includes the 289 hipo manifolds. ::.

I have a set of 69 351W mainfolds I want to bolt onto my 289. I bought these manifolds for $70.00 and they are in great shape. If I had upgraded my cam I would have went with headers, but figured the hipo irons would be a good match with my stock motor. I plan on upgrading the ignition and then having the motor dyno tuned.

Will these manifolds be a good upgrade over the log manifolds or should I save up for a set of ceramic coated Tri-Y's ::

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
The 351 manifolds are better than stock 289/302 parts. They are close to the HiPo for flow but not quite equal (IIRC, one side is still a log type on the 351). I saw a dyno comparison of the HiPo vs equal length headers on a 347 stroker and the headers beat the HiPo's by almost 50 HP! With a stock cam in a 302 the difference would be much less, I'm guessing around 15-25 HP. The HiPo manifolds are really only good for a 289 or 302. They just don't have the port volume to support a bigger engine. The fact that they make any improvement just shows how bad the stock manifolds are! If your goal is a quiet engine with a stock look, the 351 pieces are a decent choice, but my suggestion is to go with an inexpensive set of headers as any header will outperform any factory manifold.

·
Registered
491 Posts
unless you want your car to be quiet. you should use a set of tr y headers. they make your engine look a whole lot tougher, you get a good boost in hp and when you pull up next to a harley at a red liht he will tell you to turn that thing off because its making him look bad. lol ::

1 - 3 of 3 Posts