Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 65 Fastback A Code project is coming along nicely. Over the summer, the 289 was transformed into a 347, and I’m researching what motor mounts should use. I’ve read everything I can find about the different motor mounts used from 65-67, and I’m also aware of the TCP and Ron Morris mounts.

Initially, I was thinking about using the TCP mounts, but I’m concerned about vibration. A couple guys have mentioned hitting a harmonic between 2000-2500, which is right where I’ll be running at highway speeds, since I’ll have a 4R70W & 3.55s behind it. So, that got me wondering if it would be worth spending $400 on the original 65 HiPo mounts. They have the strength needed for my 347, will obviously work with my HiPo exhaust manifolds, and hopefully will provide better vibration isolation that the various aftermarket options.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I run the Ron Morris mounts with no complaints. Vibration is not an issue.

·
Registered
10,059 Posts
Use the '66 mounts, drill them for two bolts each and don't run the nuts
on those bolts down tight.

·
Registered
36,468 Posts
As GT289 says, pinning the mounts is an age-old trick to make the mounts indestructible. I say that as someone who has the early style HP mounts. These were massive overkill, which is why Ford dropped them in early 66.

Compared to the engine mounts on the GE T-58-8 turboshaft engine, which produces 1250 shp at full military power, the 65 Mustang mounts are stronger.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I had no idea that the HiPo mounts were that over-engineered!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts