Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend of mine who gave me my first fastback has either a 65 or 66 Hipo sitting under his bench complete minus the intake and carb and I'm going to try and convince him to drag it out and get the vin # off the block, he said it did come out of a GT years ago ( I remember seeing it for the first time 44 years ago when he gave me the car), where exactly would I be looking for it? I would imagine it is stamped somewhere, thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
GT does not necessarily = HiPo.
Absent a VIN which is stamped low on PS rear, not sure fire to be there, check numbers cast in the head and balancer width.

I find it funny while browsing intakes on eBay seems that every 4V intake is off of a HiPo so they are plentiful:roflao:

·
Registered
7,960 Posts

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
^ probably in the head I’d info. The magic numbers for Hipo heads are 19, 20 and 21.

·
Registered
311 Posts
To answer your question about the vin stamp location on the block, passenger side front of block directly below the engine drain plug and right above the oil pan on the flat surface...

Hope that helps...

Jason

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
VIN on the block is no guarantee. Lots have been stamped after the fact.....

·
Premium Member
13,007 Posts
VIN on the block is no guarantee. Lots have been stamped after the fact.....
^^^^^^^^ +1

more than a lot, a whole helluva lot ! Anyone with a number stamp set, and 20 minutes practice, can perfectly duplicate the VIN stampings on an engine and transmission.

As already pointed out, first start with the heads. without needing to remove anything, you should be able to see a "19" or "20" or "21" raised numbers cast into the corner of the cylinder head.

Z

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK great thanks for all the information, now to get him to move some stuff out of the way, like I said its been under there for many moons along with lots of other rare stuff ,its amazing to see the set of boss 429 heads he has up on the shelf with 1 of them cracked

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
K vin

Here's the one on mine. 58K car that sat in a garage for 37 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Over the weekend we found and took pictures of the Vin # (6R09K) which was stamped right below the ground strap on passenger side, came from a 1966 fastback San Jose, how would I go about finding if the car is still around or what the value of the motor is, unfortunately it has a old cobra manifold on it and thats been on it for at least 44 years too, thanks,Pete

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Over the weekend we found and took pictures of the Vin # (6R09K) which was stamped right below the ground strap on passenger side, came from a 1966 fastback San Jose, how would I go about finding if the car is still around or what the value of the motor is, unfortunately it has a old cobra manifold on it and thats been on it for at least 44 years too, thanks,Pete
Google search for the full VIN first...

Allen

·
Registered
311 Posts

You might try the HiPo forum under lost and found, good place to start, also probably can find out estimated value there too.

https://www.hipo-mustang.com

Jason

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
One of those "unfortunate" Cobra manifolds is on eBay right now for $1,600. Who know what the guy will ultimately get for it. Look for date codes on the manifold, it could be worth $$$.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Who knows, maybe an original 66 Shelby motor. If you have the entire VIN send it to SAAC and see if it came out of a Shelby.
Ron

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I emailed SAAC the VIN # and they confirmed it is out of a 1966 GT350 which explains why it has an original cobra manifold on it, evidently the car was sold in 1970's and they have no record of who owns it now, car was originally sold in the New York area and my friend can not remember how he acquired it, I sent them pictures of the stamping and asked if it is possible to know the name of the last owner, pretty neat,Pete

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
Its hard to believe that there are any GT350s out there that haven't been "registered," especially over the last 20 years of explosive fame and values and internet unless....

Its must be cool to find $10k+ just sitting around under an old work bench:)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Bingo! Nice find. Car was probably destroyed years ago, but that is why SAAC tracks all the details.
Hard to believe how many cars and motors are hiding in barns and dusty shelves just waiting to be discovered!
When I found my car in 2014, through a neighbor of a neighbor, the last inspection sticker on it was 1978. A Nightmist Blue GT500.
Ron

1 - 20 of 22 Posts