Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I happened to catch on the history channel last night, a spotlight on the mustang and Lee Iacoca and how it came to be. It was pretty neat. focused more on Iacoca though and ended with his current, electric bike project, but it was a nifty show all the same.

1968 Coupe, 6cyl Std, Bench Seat. Driven through 10 years of College.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
[color:red]being an allentown native (thats where iacocca is from) and after hearing his comments when that whole 60 minutes gas tank exploding story broke, all i can say is that he really doesnt appreciate where he came from, not with the mustang, or the lehigh valley, all that guy is about is making money, which is sad, and if he ever does come home, he can ride his electric bicycle into the lehigh river...

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[color:blue]Todd Dietrich
19 year old kid who has too many ideas and not enough money to finish any of them..
Allentown, PA
ObsidianSpider on AOL IM
http://home.att.net/~obsidianspider/5lugwormviewsmall.jpg</font color=blue>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is sad, is after people get that big, it all becomes about the money. I'm sure in the early days, it's all about making things better for the people, but after they make their first million, it's all about how many more they can make.

http://members.tripod.com/tangdar/
'67 Coupe project car (Did I say project car? I meant pile of rust)
http://www.americainter.net/~fevans/tangdar_flintstone.jpg

·
Registered
51 Posts
not to be rude but I think Iaccoca has gotten/is getting a bad rap over this hole 60 minutes thing. If you saw the actual broadcast the comment about getting ride of old mustangs you would have heard the context of the question/answer. I don't remember the exact wording but he was saying that "If someone is not comfortable with older cars and the safety of these older cars they should look at something newer and not expect an old car to be as safe as a new car". Now what in that is disparaging about mustangs?

Also remember 60 minutes goal is to get viewers- what better way to get viewers then to show the father of mustangs bad mouthing them?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there was a recent article in one of the stang magazines, cant remember which one. anyway, a mustang owner contacted Iacocca and asked if he would meet with him and have some pictures made with his car. Iacocca gladly accepted and the guy went to his house where he was warmly greeted by an enthusiastic Iacocca. I heard about the 60 minutes thing, but after reading that article, my opinion has changed.

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

·
Registered
926 Posts
I go to work because I love cubicles. Can't get enough of them. Especially gray ones.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575122&a=11977248&p=43129085&Sequence=3&res=high.jpg
66 C-code convertible
66 C-code coupe
65 GTO hardtop
76 Nova hatchback

·
Registered
65 Mustang Convertible
1,754 Posts
I hear your keyboard tapping. Do you live over in the next cubicle farm?

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me!!!
66 200 3-spd Coupe - emberglo, daily driver
65 289 4-spd Conv - Rangoon Red (what else)
66 Shelby - Red and Ready to be Restored

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey acnt forget how he's in these new butter commercials!

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I always thought he answered the question in that context too (if people are concerned about safety, get a modern car). Things were different in the '60s. That's why Ralph Nader made bucks pointing out safety hazards like doors that fly open upon impact, glove box door gullitines in accidents, and trashing the Corvair even though the redesign '65 were much improved in handling over the '60.

Sometimes I think we're trying to make the world too safe and clean.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love those Mustang shows too!! Wish they had more of them. One can only dream!!

65 coupe 302
(rebuilding a 351W)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts