Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember that I have been researching the history of my 66 fastback. I have discovered some interesting information that I would like to share with you and ask your opinions on what I should do. The car is an Emberglo 66 GT Fastback with Emberglo and Parchment pony interior. Door plate says the DSO was Atlanta and everything matches up.

I have discovered that the car was professionally restored in the late 80s by a shop in the Atlanta area that has since gone out of business. In 1990, this car took first place in the trailered concourse class at Pensacola. I know this because one of the POs sent me the plaque. The owners name on the plaque was Jim Lamb. I believe he was the guy who had the car restored and may have been the owner of the shop as well. I wrote to the Gulf Coast Mustang Club and asked them if they had any records of the event to verify all this. If anyone knows Jim or has any info I would greatly appreciate it.

After finding more POs, I now know that up until 1985, this car was (Dan66 will get a kick out of this!) Turquoise with black GT stripes and a standard blue interior that probably had a DSO of Omaha, Nebraska. I had begun to suspect this after digging very deep into the car and seeing blue in out of the way places. I now believe that the restoration in Atlanta was also a color and interior change to what we see today. This change was extremely well done and very thorough, note the plaque mentioned above. The door tag has been changed to reflect the way the car is today so most of that information is probably suspect. It does seem that the car was in fact a factory GT and the options all seem to go all the way back to the factory as well.

I love this car and this combination is exactly what I wanted. Intend to start some needed body repairs and new paint and I will keep it as it is (Sorry Dan, Turquoise is my 2nd favorite color!). No hard feelings at all toward any POs. The change was done right and I seriously doubt any of them ever had a clue it was not as it came from the factory. I'm the first to ever dig this hard. A lot can happen to these cars over nearly 40 years and I can understand why Jim Lamb (or whoever changed it) would do this and I thank him for the quality work.

Here at last is where I seek your opinions. I know the door tag is wrong and some of the information is gone forever (like build date). Should I leave the tag alone or have it changed back to reflect as much of the original information that I can find? Either way, I can tell you now that if this car ever gets sold I will be giving the full story and history to the buyer (I keep it all in a book). I probably wouldn't volunteer the information to everyone who walks up to the car at a show. Some of you probably think I am stupid for even bringing this up (who would ever know, right?) but I wouldn't want someone to withhold info from me as a buyer and I have no problem with sharing my findings with the good people on this board. I suppose this will hurt the value with some buyers but I'm counting on the quality of the vehicle to be the major selling point (if I ever sell it). So what say you, change the tag or leave it as it is?

Thanks, Drew

·
Registered
546 Posts
Congrats on finding out so much about your car. I think that the best approach is to leave things alone. The doorplate correctly reflects what the car is right now, correct? For shows and the casual observer I think that this is appropriate, and some day if you sell it, then you can provide all the info to potential purchasers, who should appreciate the thoroughness of the info and realize that it indicates the quality of work that has been done to your car.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
If it ain't broke, don't fix it! ::

Leave it. It will make extremely little difference in resale value. You can't duplicate the original exactly, anyway, so why even bother.

I must warn you, though, that this opinion is comming from a guy that has a door tag where the VIN doesn't even match my fender, let alone any of the information on the door tag (except the C code engine) :eek:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Hmm... morality questions on the VMF...

I am a believer of the "It's your car, do what you want" philosophy and I have no problems with modifications/customizations/clones/etc. It can be extremely difficult to find a 35-40 year old car with the exact configuration you would have ordered it with. Even if you could locate the exact car of your dreams, it might not be affordable to you. Make the car exactly what you want.

Taking the above sentiments into account, there is one aspect of the situation you describe that makes me a bit uneasy: the car show aspect. I am not a car show attendee or participant, so I am not speaking from any position of authority, and you do not mention what type of shows you participate in... but depending on the show criteria the current door plate might not be appropriate. I would ask the show officials for their views on the subject.

Enjoy your car and I respect the fact that you even ask the question. It would be far easier to look the other way when confronting this!

Good luck

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
First off everyone, this car is top notch. We've got pics of our cars together (I'll post when I can figure out how to decrease the size of them to a reasonable size :p ) from a car show a few weekends ago and this car is sweet!

I think you should keep the car and redo as you see fit, as you mentioned you'll include it's history if you were to sell (not that you're going to, right? :: ). This is the car you've always wanted - although I know your secretly jealous of the vert, hehe. Keep it Emerglow...there's too few of us as it is! Good luck and congrats on a nice 66 FB no matter what the color.

Kelly

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Kelly, no matter what it stays Emberglo and it's a keeper. But when you get the vert done, maybe I'll want to go topless! ;) Question is if the tag should reflect current info or how it left the factory. Many others have changed stuff in the past, what did you do?

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'd leave it and not worry about it unless you sold it. Small town car shows and cruise-ins aren't going to know the difference. I personally don't think its a big deal. Your new one won't be accurate either, so why change. Justin

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I say to leave this one as it is. We'll still be your friends even though it's only the second coolest '66 color. You never know... you may still be lucky enough to find a Tahoe Turquoise one eventually if you play your cards right! ;)

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I'd leave it as is, but document what you've uncovered and pass that info along to any former owner!

Also, you might send a PM to "Ponyboy289" / Bob Stansberry. He's in Biloxi MS, and may know or be able to track down your PO if he's still in that area. Dickson

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
What makes you suspect a different DSO? I can't think of a reason to change that even during a restoration. I also can't think of any reason for changing the build date, so it may be a carryover from the original data plate.

I think you're fine to leave it as it as and make full disclosure if you ever sell it.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Got the floors and everything tore out now...it's original Emberglow (and lots of rust, missing inside rocker channels!, etc.). Keep it the way it is (color, data plates, restoration pics, etc.) and if (ya better not :: ) you sell it you can inform the next buyer. BTW, I shouldn'ta ripped out the dash, sounds like Emberglow dashes are hard to get from TMI (they don't have consistent color patterns) from what I'm hearing, DOH! Your car is too nice to change anything now, stay Emberglow and enjoy!

Kelly

1 - 11 of 11 Posts